Identifying motor (plate missing) Photos now available

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alasdair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there I have old small saw with no manufactures mark with a sliding table that I am fixing up. I believe it may have originally been for aluminium window frames as there are aluminum chips present. The blade height is not adjustable and takes a tct blade 5 3/4" diamater and 7/8" bore.Its small and cast steel and has a three phase motor which the electrical contacts are damaged as well as the cooling fins. There is no plate on the motor but there is a small brass inlay with Mot no 751 187 171 Does anyone know how to go about finding the motor HP etc. and the type. I need an equivalent single phase replacement.The foot is aprox 6" x 5" . The only other info I have its got a MEM starter 0.6amp in 0.8amp out on the internal switch.
Will try and get some pics and post them
Sorry thats all I have at the moment.

Last edited:
Will try and get some. I am not very good at phone tech but will see if my son or partner will do it for me. Its a well built saw and bloomin heavy despite its small size. I just like fixing things and this is next on my list. So far have managed to free up every nut and bolt. It must have been sitting outside for a while but its mainly surface rust with not much pitting. Typical hammered green paint Picked it up years ago for £5-£10 at a local auction and its been sitting in my barn since then

Hi there dug out an old camera and got some photos of the saw Sorry about the random quality and the hammer is a stubby one to give an idea of size. Blade as said is removed but 5 3/4" tct Dont suppose anyone has come accross this saw before. Also the bench on the left with the screw adjuster slides front to back
1647443172910.jpeg
1647443209959.jpeg
1647443237594.jpeg
1647443276173.jpeg
1647443293533.jpeg

1647443329803.jpeg
1647443359466.jpeg
1647443369935.jpeg
1647443398492.jpeg

My suspicions were correct. It is a printer saw. Fine Woodworking back in the black and white days had an article on modifying a Hammond to take a bigger blade (7" I think) for woodworking. It was a cabinet machine rather than the bench top you have. Some searching for printer saw or an image search should get you information as to the brand you have. Pretty much any motor between 1/2hp and 1hp that will fit should work nicely. I think a motor repair shop should be able to tell you what RPM yours would have been so you can get similar in a single phase. If the scale was still on the fixed mitre bar it would be in Picas, a measurement that fonts were based on. They made dandy little saws for precision work and modelling.

Pete

Thanks Pete I always wondered what it was for. The aluminium shards everywhere made me think windows etc. Have tried a printers saw image search but no luck yet. Its pretty heavy for its size and so far nothing seems worn and I have managed to free up anything that was seized with rust. The adjuster wheel at the end of the screw bar moves in clicks or if you lift the brass lever it slides. Weird thing is there are no serial numbers or casting marks that I can find so far apart from the brass plate on the motor. I assume the small screws on the bar used to hold the scale. Couldn't work out why they were there. The tiny screws are M3 metric but the larger are not unless they are an odd thread so could it be European? Will try and do it up and see how I get on.
Thanks again

There was a very similar one on Facebook I saw a while ago. Can't remember the brand though!

I had a similar issue with needing to ID a motor speed last year. My solution was to use an online pulley calculator - enter the pulley sizes, then do the input at 1425 and 2800rpm - whichever output speed looks to be about the right rpm is the motor to go for! As a printers saw it might have been a slower motor for cutting metal.

From what I remember they were for cutting lead. If there is room for a little bigger blade, like a track saw's, or minor material removal to fit one, it would be a handy extra saw for crosscutting. You could find a nice steel rule/scale and drill it to fit the screw holes you have. Some jigs to fit the fence could allow for angled/mitre cuts for segmenting or picture framing.

Pete

Not sure what I will use it for but its well made and once going might be excellent for fiddly cross cut etc. I also need a saw for cutting plastic laminate into small 2" x 1" labels. If it all goes wrong it only cost a £10 so nothing to lose plus gets me taking things apart again and fixing them. Still no luck with google but will keep trying.

Going on the shape of the motor and the terminal block, it looks like a bog standard 3ph Squirrel Cage motor and given the overload rating if my maths serve me right it will work out to around 0.5kw. I stand to be corrected!. Measure the footprint between centres, the distance from the bottom of the foot to the centre of the drive shaft, the shaft diameter and the distance from the centre of the front foot to the leading end of the drive pulley. This should then help to find the motor frame size. I doubt you will find an exact fit modern motor it will probably need some fettling. Hope this helps
John

Many thanks I was thinking it would be around that power. Not sure what speed it used to run at though. I was thinking it might be slower due to originally being for cutting metal. Going to see if I can work out how many poles it has once I learn how to. It will be converted to single phase and as posted not sure what I will use it for but its a very solid machine with no obvious wear.

Back