Identify this wood someone??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilfage

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone please take a look and tell me what this wood is. I don't think it's anything particularly exotic but I've never worked with it before. I was told it was teak, but I'm really not sure. What I do know is its very dense, very heavy. Planes won't touch it unless they are stupid sharp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-20201010-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20201010-WA0006.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG-20201010-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20201010-WA0004.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
Ive been laying some old reclaimed Mahogany floorboards that look like the timber you have pictured - I was told they were 'Cuban mahogany'.... and they are as hard as nails!

Thanks guys. Googled keruing there as it does look very similar.

Last edited:
Try posting another picture
One or two from other areas of the grain, which is hand planed and closer
with the camera, and with something to reference against for size.
All these things will give a better clue of the long grain pores on the surface.
Tom

I strongly suspect that that is Keruing -- It'll destroy the edge on any tool you use within seconds!

I found this exact timber in an old couch that was been thrown away along with beech I've always wondered what it was I kept it and used it for the Jaws of my vice it stood up well and is a tough timber I have yet to have a use for it in a project.

I bought some of this from the local wood recycling centre and they said it was Keruing. Exhudes resin from the end grain when cut and will gum up tools but finishes well. Apparently came from a ships decking.

Back