Identifing Bandsaw Guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vann

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I recently bought an old cast iron 30" bandsaw (made by Preston in Canada, in 1928). It has relatively modern guides that are most likely of European origin (due to the metric threads). I'm hoping someone might recognise them.

aPresUpGuide1.jpg
aPresUpGuide2.jpg

aPresLG1.jpg
aPresLG2.jpg
The agents, Louis Eichmann Ltd, operated from this Auckland (NZ) address from ~1960s to ~1980s.

aPresGstrips1.jpg
These wear strips appear to be bakelite or similar. If I can find out who made the guides - and if they're still trading - I'd like to get some spare wear strips and a replacement screw or two. If not - I could get replacement screws made, and I could make replacement wear strips out of lignum vitae if I have to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Vann.

Preston2.jpg
Pposter.jpg

Attachments

• aPresUpGuide1.jpg
    aPresUpGuide1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 138
  • aPresUpGuide2.jpg
    aPresUpGuide2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 138
  • aPresLG1.jpg
    aPresLG1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 138
  • aPresLG2.jpg
    aPresLG2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 138
  • aPresGstrips1.jpg
    aPresGstrips1.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Preston2.jpg
    Preston2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Pposter.jpg
    Pposter.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 138
Scott and Sargent sell the parts in this country although you can go direct to the maker and save yourself a few quid. I had to buy the rear thrust bearing recently and it was eye-wateringly expensive!

If you need to make guides, PTFE is a great plastic for bearing surfaces. I used to use it for propshaft and rudder bearings. Expensive but long lasting and self lubricating.

Thanks gentlemen. You are correct - they are almost certainly, Chaco guides.

I emailed Chaco, and they replied...
Barbara @ Chaco":1epowhh6 said:
It seems like an old version of a CHACO bandsaw guides.
We can still deliver elements as per attached pictures. These are made of CHACO low friction material.
Please check if dimensions are correct. Width is given, because it is a pressed part. For the 90° ones you can have a different lengths if necessary.

As for the other spare parts, could you please name what you need and we will have a look if we have some left in stock. Pictures of the individual parts with dimension will always help.
aChacoGuide90.jpg
aChacoGuide.jpg

So thanks very much for your help. If the prices aren't too high (Swiss , yeah right :roll: ) I may be able to afford some OEM parts.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• aChacoGuide.jpg
    aChacoGuide.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 44
  • aChacoGuide90.jpg
    aChacoGuide90.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back