Ideas on how to make this bike rack?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1ke_a

Established Member
Reaction score
I couldn't decide what section to put this post in so mods, please move if required.

I'm thinking of hanging my bikes in't new shed and looked at these vertical racks.

saris%20bike%20track.jpg

The vertical rack will be easy to do but what about the hanging bracket? Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this in wood? - I could cheat and use metal J brackets or similar like the idea of trying to solve this in wood.

Load wise my heaviest bike is 27lbs but I'd position them with the back wheel on the floor to not stress the front wheel.

A deeper channel around the front wheel's contact point with a bolt or dowel passing through would do the trick.
Si

knappers":2xg3eyg8 said:
A deeper channel around the front wheel's contact point with a bolt or dowel passing through would do the trick.
Si

Ahh or say have a 3" high block fixed at the top with a sliding dowel to push through to secure the rim?

Obvious when someone else thinks about it! #-o =D>

I'll have to carefully measure all the wheels/bikes up as they range from 2.5 " wide knobbly MTB tyres to 2" deep carbon rimmed tubulars

The above ideas means the wheel could be pulled out of its fork, or might weaken the joint in the future?

Get some anchorage to the frame I would in addition.

There's no reason why the dowel blocks / channel couldn't have a row of holes so the dowel could be inserted into the appropriate hole to accommodate the size of whichever bike is inserted.

Si

devonwoody":12ggcixo said:
The above ideas means the wheel could be pulled out of its fork, or might weaken the joint in the future?

Get some anchorage to the frame I would in addition.

I can see where you're coming from but shouldn't be an issue as most bike forks these days have what's termed lawyer tabs :roll:

Also a lot of MTB's now have bolt thru axles (mainly to stiffen the wheel up). - I'm a weight weenie and don't throw myself down mountains so stick with lightweight bits.

[edit]

Knappers, completely agree and like your opening response, a very obvious solution.

Cheers

Mike

I have had up to 6 bikes stored in my garage.
A simple hook on the wall is all that is needed, go to a decent hardware store if you can find one. And two lengths of 2x2 as a track to keep the bike from flapping about. I think using wood for the hook thingy would end in tears .
You wont be stressing the front wheel. The wheels are incredibly strong, eg will support the weight of an adult riding down a flight of steps.
Getting the bikes out of the wall munted rack can be a bit of pain if you use them regularly.
I would be wary of having a channel with a peg through the wheel, lifting the bike up vertically and slipping a peg through could result in being attacked by the bike. At 27lbs and five foot long with flapping handlebars bikes can be very vicious, the bars always go the softest parts of the human being, testicles or eyes.
To avoid using metal hooks you could always have a strap that goes through the wheel and hooks over something.
Roll the front wheel up the guide, then flip a strap over.

Chunkolini

Agree with MTB's handling step riding and the like but you won't see me trying such things with my carbon wheels on my road bikes!

I didn't have room to hang my bikes in the old shed but I never found a satisfactory hook for hanging bike bits, including the various wheels bags.

Once I've got everything set up in the new shed I'll do a prototype of the racks and test suitability. I have six running bikes and want to store them neatly, which will be novelty after all these years.

Carbon wheels?
Ouch, burned toast and glue do they really make wheels out of that.
Carbon wheels I would be really nice to them, no metal contact or anything like that.
Carbon has an amazing failure mode.
SPLAM.
I once saw a carbon frame fail.

60 years ago I was basic, I hung them on the crossbar and off the ground level. Or when at a YHA it was not unknown to put them down on the handlebar and saddle. :roll:

Back