Ideas for fixing oak veneer to a staircase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcarver

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a customer who wants a staircase string covered with oak veneer.
Does any one have any suggestions on which glue to use Please

Many thanks

woodcarver

If the string is unlikely to get wet? I would say hide glue as it will be difficult to clamp anything to the stairs while normal glue sets?

Any particular reason they want it oak veneer ?
Edit: just reread your post and guess its to cover existing.

Can you use the paper backed veneer and glue it with contact adhesive? You would only be able to do it with Contact if you can keep the veneer oversize to be trimmed off after the glue has gone off.
Or as an alternative what about 6mm veneered mdf or ply with the edge taped or solid edging?

I've used this - you do need 2 or even 3 people to do it though - one to hold it, one to iron it and then ideally one to rub it down while the glue cools.

I did a staircase a year ago and cut my own veneers 3mm. And used a styrene adhesive, worked really well. i used blocks of wood & wedges & various sized F clamps to hold the veneers in place, the glue sets quite quickly.

Top tip don't get any on your hands............................. :lol:

I would do as Matty says get paper backed veneer and use contact adhesive. I did a steel staircase a few years ago that had a curved string. We clad treads, risers and outer string in solid wood and and we were going to use the paper backed for the curved string but the steel was so badly made and bent /twisted that it didn't work. If yours are just straight flat strings it will work fine.

RogerBoyle":387yhave said:
Bog standard PVA works as well as anything else

Roger

Sorry for hijacking a bit but can you use pva on paper backed oak vaneer and then just add lots of weight?
(we use contact ad at work but done have any at home but do have pva)

A separate thread with instruction on this would be great if any one can help... So not to highjack anymore .... (it's for my box)

Melinda_dd":qud7umt5 said:
RogerBoyle":qud7umt5 said:
Bog standard PVA works as well as anything else

Roger

Sorry for hijacking a bit but can you use pva on paper backed oak vaneer and then just add lots of weight?
(we use contact ad at work but done have any at home but do have pva)

A separate thread with instruction on this would be great if any one can help... So not to highjack anymore .... (it's for my box)

Sorry Melinda I've never used any type of paper backed veneer so I couldnt say yea or nay to if it would work or not

Roger

Thanks for all your replies.
I have used contact adhesive for this application in the past, but with not with much success. I found that where the contact adhesive is applied it becomes quite irregular in depth and that when the two surfaces are brought together there is a not very smooth surface causing hums and bumps.

woodcarver":1c1kyr05 said:
Thanks for all your replies.
I have used contact adhesive for this application in the past, but with not with much success. I found that where the contact adhesive is applied it becomes quite irregular in depth and that when the two surfaces are brought together there is a not very smooth surface causing hums and bumps.

That's why I cut my own veneers and use Styrene adhesive it solves all those problems :D

promhandicam":3n4pjit1 said:
I've used this - you do need 2 or even 3 people to do it though - one to hold it, one to iron it and then ideally one to rub it down while the glue cools.

Sorry this is not OT of the OP-but that looks like a great product, pity they dont also do the Walnut and the Ash veneer too

barkwindjammer":1fvhgfqz said:
promhandicam":1fvhgfqz said:

Sorry this is not OT of the OP-but that looks like a great product, pity they dont also do the Walnut and the Ash veneer too
Available in a variety in timbers from Vale Veneers.

http://www.woodveneeruk.co.uk/products.php?cat=14&pg=3

John

Latest posts

Back