Ideas for British woodworking Shows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

In view of the demise of woodworking on H&L, perhaps we can persuade Jet to produce a UK show using the "Jet shed" as the studio.

All of the shows we have seen feature saws that we can't buy and have a huge work area.

The "Jet Shed" would be much more realistic and you could also limit it to only using tools that are available in the UK.

If this was the format I'd even allow david Free to present it. :roll:

Or, what what about a UK Router Workshop? I'm sure that Trend would sponsor that. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil
Well more power to your elbow if you can persuade them. Last year I tried to persuade a talent scout from the BBC that i had a good idea for a TV Woody show. As kids don't get any practical classes in schools any more, but Blue Peter is a popular as ever, I thought it would be a good idea to have a series of projects, real projects, that could be done with simple tools. Each show would have a different kid working with the presenter, showing how each step could be done. The sort of projects I had in mind were things like my birdtable, a small table, CD rack etc. We could even get a budding magician and make a sawing a lady in half illusion (yes, I was that teenager!).
I regret to say I received a We Regret To Say letter.
Regards
Steve Maskery
Young Magician of the Year Finalist, 1975! :lol:
(start and end of TV career)

Steve Maskery":24xts6fj said:
Steve Maskery
Young Magician of the Year Finalist, 1975!
Gosh, I'm in awe. :shock:

It does puzzle me why the telly people have such a blind spot about craftsmanship. I can't remember ever meeting anyone who didn't enjoy watching a skilled worker make something before their very eyes, but the best we get is someone slapping together yet more MDF in the makeover shows. :roll: Heigh ho. The Beeb for one doesn't have a clue anyway. Did anyone else see the thing on Friday with that Irish gardening twit about Gertrude Wotsit? A peg toothed two-man cross cut to cut a plank?! Pushing a woodie jack the wrong way?! I was so horrified I yelled out loud, causing the rest of the inmates of Alf Towers to think murder was being done. It was of course, but not quite like they imagined. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Steve

A friend of mine is a freelance television cameraman.

He could probably be persuaded to do a small pilot if you fancy it.

Cheers
Neil

Hell's Workshop?
We could take a bunch of no-hopers, failed politicians, sweet young things, somebody's granny and a couple of credible maybes and force them to work together for criminally long hours in a workshop. We could start them off with something very simple, like a hidden dovetail mitre joint, and if just one of them doesn't do it to perfection, the whole lot is chucked in the woodstove and they all get a tirade of abuse which will, of course, make them all the more eager to please the deity who owns the workshop. Commentary would be provided by a supercilious washed-up drug-abuser who needn't have any practical skills himself, as long as he is excellent at pointing out the inadequacies of others.
There could be an almost-a-celebrity-myself showroom audience, and if those who ordered the oak got the ash, and the cherry demilune comes out as a maple bedside table then things will be all the more entertaining.
Every night the audience could vote to send somebody off to IK**.

Surefire winner?

Back