Ideas for a new workbench please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think these days if you are tight on space then you need a modular approach, you don't want to much floor taken up by single function equipment. A router table is great but can so easily be incorporated into a multifunction bench, look at Dennis the dutchman in the woods.

This idea uses the Incra fence which can easily be removed when not needed and so you immediately save floorspace by not having a stand alone router table. You could expand the concept by having a table saw underneath and save more space. I just use a worktop that sits on my table saw when it is not needed so at least it has added use.

Now I would like one like that but I would still like something a bit more substantial that could take a good thumping so I would also refurb my old school bench. Having said that, this isn't much use to the OP.

Get 20 woodworkers in a room and say " whats the best bench to use / make " and you'll get 40 different answers .. lol
So true in so many walks of life, but we need to make the final decision and then live with it.

I am still looking at "workbenches" for myself and these days is the name still correct? In the days of old woodworkers would work at their bench with manual handtools but today do we really work.

On the subject of benches and being modular, I have thought of another advantage of using the incra positioner on a benchdogs plate so it can be removed when not in use, that is you only need the small 430mm version because your course positioning is the 96mm holes so smaller, shorter and cheaper, no need for the longer versions.

I would be looking at an mdf type bench top, three 19mm pieces glued together.
As this is your first bench it can be utilised as an assembly bench later on if you decide on making a fancy one later on.
I would be looking at incorporating dog holes and at least one vice. I think incorporating bench dogs, a shooting board and maybe some other add one will expand you horizons in woodworking.
As for a stand I use thick hardwood timber but am in Aus so we have a variety of dense timbers available.
Enjoy!

I have in mind (on the list of things that will never get built, in other words) to make one or more folding trestle tables like this:

1930s_pine_folding_Trestle_Tab_ac023a399z-3.jpg

I'm thinking the thinnest ply on a cheap pine frame - it won't be for bashing mortices, but as a work table it will be good enough, I would think. Also cheap as chips. Can also be used for picnics and outdoor catering events.

Hi all, and many thanks for all the replies and ideas. I like the idea of a "portable/folding bench as I think this gives a good degree of flexibility. I think I will go with a small "fixed" bench to support my drill press and sander, then a larger "portable" bench that can be used for assembly work as necessary. I think it is true that (in my case anyway), a permanent base eventually turns itself into a shelf!

I have in mind (on the list of things that will never get built, in other words) to make one or more folding trestle tables like this:

1930s_pine_folding_Trestle_Tab_ac023a399z-3.jpg

I'm thinking the thinnest ply on a cheap pine frame - it won't be for bashing mortices, but as a work table it will be good enough, I would think. Also cheap as chips. Can also be used for picnics and outdoor catering events.
I made a couple of benches for our men's shed our of 15mm plywood recycled from Ducati motorcycle cases.

Cheers James

My garage/workshop is 14' x 17' but I need to get the car in when we're away so need demountable assembly table.
Already have fixed heavy bench with vice against one wall with tool drawers underneath.

Liked the look of Paulk design to keep tools clear of the top so built the one below which is in two 18" x 72" sections which bolt together. Since build, the right hand end has been filled with holes but the left is mainly undrilled to stop bits falling through.

With Benchdogs fence and track saw I no longer drag the cabinet saw out for sheet goods, the bench cuts are very accurate and easier to use, particularly when handling larger sheets single handed - move the saw not the wood. Only drawback is not suitable for heavy planing as the trestles move if too boisterous.

P1010133a.jpg

Back