Ideal lathe height

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there an ideal lathe height?

I guess it depends how tall you are, but I'd be interested to hear views.

Elbow height plus up to 75mm ...experiment a little before final fixing :wink:

I find my back is much happier with lathe height set somewhat above the elbow level quoted. (100mm or so) It also helps with my vision because it brings the work into a more natural focal distance for my everyday specs.

Thanks. I either need to stand on a pallet or build myself a stand for the lathe that's a bit lower! It's about 3-6" too high based on your answers. :)

Just checked mine - about 4" above elbow height,same as Chas,which I also find to be comfortable.

Andrew

My lathe is bench-mounted - bench is 36" surface height,lathe is 11.5" centre height from the bench,so 47.5" from floor to centre.I'm 5'10",and my elbow height is about 43".Have anti-fatigue matting on the floor now,which is where the other half-inch went.

Is yours bench-mounted,or on a stand ?

Andrew

Hi,

I went through exactly the same query on here.

I ended up about 80mm above elbow height and it made a big difference.

Also I purchased a 'cheap' rubber mat from Aldi that certainly feels better when standing on for long sessions.

Shaun

PowerTool":1xr7p56r said:
My lathe is bench-mounted - bench is 36" surface height,lathe is 11.5" centre height from the bench,so 47.5" from floor to centre.I'm 5'10",and my elbow height is about 43".Have anti-fatigue matting on the floor now,which is where the other half-inch went.

Is yours bench-mounted,or on a stand ?

Andrew

Mine is bench mounted - or to be precise 'old sideboard mounted'. I also had to level the floor by standing the sideboard on a couple of planks. It's remarkable stable - but just too high.

I take it, BTW, that we're talking funny bone height :?:

for a couple of years i went by the book and had my lathe centre height at my elbow but when making a new bench i forgot to add the thickness of the bench top when cutting the legs so this bench is 50mm taller and i find woodturning easier

Back