Id this RAS?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roofy

Reaction score
Can someone id this RAS?

Will be needing some parts that are missing and the manual

Regards,

George

Attachments

• Ras1.jpg
    Ras1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Ras2.jpg
    Ras2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Ras3.jpg
    Ras3.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 186
It looks quite like a 1751/1753 but the blade guard is very strange as the dust port is normally furthest from the user.

There are a number of spare parts vendors that all have exploded diagrams of the components so I suggest a trawl through the diagrams , concentrating on that blade guard.

The clamp at the rear left of the column is also different from my 1753.

good luck

Bob

Not familiar with the exact type. However, from the features, it's a mid-to-late 1960's model, and probably a long-arm version. You can find some manuals at http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=252&tab=3. These won't cover your exact model, but will come pretty close on the various features.

Oh, the blade is much smaller than the guard. It's probably a 10" blade on a 12" or 14" saw.

Kirk

9fingers":1mo35h90 said:
Is it possible that it has been fitted the wrong way round on your machine?

Bob

The fitting for the anti-kickback pawl is on the front of the guard, so the guard is on correctly.

My Dewalt, circa 1963, has the guard dust port in the front like this.

Edit:
The clamp at the rear left of the column is also different from my 1753.
This is also consistent with my Dewalt. Later American made Dewalts also had the arm raising crank in the middle of the arm, not on the column like this one. This is another reason I'm dating it to the '60s.

Kirk

Yes its a thin kerf 10" blade,

As for the clamp at the rear end its broken and the blade cover only mounts this way

thanks for the link Bob!

Hi George

What are the details on the motor rating plate? This will give a clue. BTW the guard is on the correct way as earlier models were all like this. Dont know why as it seems a bit daft but thats the way they were. It looks like its a 24'' crosscut capability and could be a 1603 possibly. If you are looking to do it up properly get hold of 'Mr Sawdust's ' book which is excellent.

Mike

If the earlier numbering scheme matches the later one then 1601 will be the single phase and 1603, the 3 phase variant.

There are one or two references to DW1601 RAS online but no spares from the usual suspects. Bearings will be standard parts almost certainly but other needs might have to be fabricated or acquired from scrap machines.
There are various manuals around for other models and the design has not changed radically so even one from a newer model should be helpful.
Misterfish, a member here has a number of manual scans and I have one from him for my 1753/1 I can dig out and send you in exchange for an email address.

Bob

What's the serial number on the motor? If it follows the American Dewalt practice, it will have a date code as the first few digits.

Kirk

Back