I'd heard... but never knew.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":2j71p45y said:
phil.p":2j71p45y said:
Sideways":2j71p45y said:
... They gave me morphine and when the pain went away I just cried ...

It's when they give you the morphine and it doesn't you know you're really in the excrement. :D

That's where the beer comes in :D

I learnt that there's a "hierarchy" of more powerful painkillers, with some flexibility as different ones are also more or less effective for any one individual. I was somewhat of a bystander in a debate between medics about morphine dosages. I received 4mg at a time which took 20 odd minutes to kick in and was effective for a couple of hours. One surgeon remarked that he had prescribed dosages upto about 30mg for stone patients. My primary physician wondering how many he'd had to resuscitate ! If you are adapted to it, you can tolerate morphine doses that will stop someone else's heart ...
Nothing like a healthy argument. Morphine / honing / best choice of plane for a newcomer :)

Had some a couple of years ago diagnosed by my GP and pains lasted 5 days before they apparently passed naturally. I had been told that would hurt even more but luckily it didn't in my case. GP said if it didn't go in a week I'd need hospital treatment.

Like others, I've had back surgery, broken limbs etc but nothing gets even close to the pain that week.
My sympathies are with you.

Sideways":3i9jftz2 said:
RogerS":3i9jftz2 said:
phil.p":3i9jftz2 said:
It's when they give you the morphine and it doesn't you know you're really in the excrement. :D

That's where the beer comes in :D

I learnt that there's a "hierarchy" of more powerful painkillers, with some flexibility as different ones are also more or less effective for any one individual. I was somewhat of a bystander in a debate between medics about morphine dosages. I received 4mg at a time which took 20 odd minutes to kick in and was effective for a couple of hours. One surgeon remarked that he had prescribed dosages upto about 30mg for stone patients. My primary physician wondering how many he'd had to resuscitate ! If you are adapted to it, you can tolerate morphine doses that will stop someone else's heart ...
Nothing like a healthy argument. Morphine / honing / best choice of plane for a newcomer :)

I'm never ceased to be surprised by the medical community who seem to forget that all drugs are perceived by the body as poison ! We all have a very good poison eradication system called the liver. In some it is more efficient at eliminating Poison X than Poison Y. For others, the opposite. Hence why many drugs have three (I think) strengths. You start off on the mid-point and then go up or down.

And then you get the interactions, the side effects ...

Fortunately I am on none.

The hospital supplied me with many water jugs and i was told to keep drinking water all day... i tried but found a few problems.

Having had nothing to eat for 14.5 hours then filling up with water made me sick and having only one fully functioning kidney of course meant my body couldn't hold water for long so i soon found that after a cup of water i would find myself fighting the pain to get up and got the toilet many times... and having no food (or a tiny meal when provided) caused more pain and drained my energy so i would sleep and therefore go even longer without water.

Now that i'm home i'm trying to keep drinking water with a little juice in but being at home means i'm finding little things to do and pass the time which once again means i'm going some time without food and water.

I think the best thing to do is carry a bottle of water and that way i could keep myself hydrated

Ive just been sat here, reading this thread with my toes curled :shock: for the op, and all the other who’ve suffered this, you have my sympathy.

A few years ago, I had a cycling accident that ended up with me having a bruised upper torso, a broken tooth, road rash face and a hole between my upper lip and nose that early went all the way through, that took quite a few stitches. It honestly looked like that ld been beaten up. I was in a lot of pain for a few days...

If I had to chose kidney stones or the above, I know which I’d chose

The above, any day

Had a trip the hospital today to have the dressing changed and also to raise concerns that nothing seems to be draining out of my kidney as i was told.

The doctor tried to flush the drain but it didn't seem to do nothing... So the Urology department are booking me in for a scan... to see if the drain is still in the right place or if i need to have a new drain tube inserted.

Im keeping my fingers crossed that it just needs a wiggle and not replacing as that is almost as painful once done.

While i was there a guy came in, sat in a wheeled chair leaning to one side and moaning quietly a fair bit... i knew from the face and the sound he had a kidney stone but i was astonished at just how quiet and calm he was compared to me when my antics was to scream like a girl while rolling on the floor.... after speaking to his partner she mentioned he has a high pain threshold... just how high i can only imagine.

Yes - good luck !

I was signed off my surgeon's books yesterday. I've one 3mm stone left on the x-rays but it's well down in the kidney, doing no apparant harm and now the root cause is solved, it shouldn't get any bigger. If i'm lucky it'll still be in the same place when they put me in a box :)

Back