ID for Stanley Lever Cap Patents

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippityNZ

Established Member
Reaction score
In the process of restoring my Stanley planes, I have noticed that two planes have Lever Caps with a Patent on the reverse.

Both patent numbers are the same. One plane is a "Made In Canada" #4 1/2, the other is a "Made in USA"#6 - type 15

The cap from the USA plane has and additional "U" and "4" on it.

Can I assume that the Canadian plane is of the same era?

PatLeverCap (Small).jpg

PatLeverCapF (Small).jpg

Attachments

• PatLeverCap (Small).jpg
    PatLeverCap (Small).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 327
  • PatLeverCapF (Small).jpg
    PatLeverCapF (Small).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 348
It seems likely that the patent date on the lever cap was one feature, like some others, that would persist in Canada-made planes past the point that it's believed they ceased being used on US Stanley planes.

As previously, the date can be more of academic interest than anything. The plane, any plane, is either a solid user or it isn't, and while the date of manufacture is a pointer to good users it is never a guarantee; there are good (really good) planes from the less-desirable periods just as there are meh ones from the types that are widely admired. Even if both things are rare, say half of a percent of production or 1 in 200, the sheer number produced means this still represents a large to very large number of individual examples and a certain proportion of each will survive to today.

Latest posts

Back