I would Like to introduce my self

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomthumbtom8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all I'm new to wood turning and would like some advice

I have just bought a wooden lathe a sterling 1000 of ebay and was hoping for advice on pen turning.
I only bought the lathe for finishing the pens(sanding) as I don't have anything with speed for sanding the finished pens

Last year I made a CNC Machine and I have just finished a fourth axis for barley twists and pen turning

my fourth axis is stepper motor driven and has a three jaw chuck attached to a index plate and a live centre.

but how do I attach a mandrel to the lathe in my haste I bought a mandrel with a taper before Christmas but the lathe only has a threaded shaft I believe it to be 3/4 X 16 unf what do I need to do

tom
If it doesn't work use a (hammer)

You can get a plain mandrel that you hold with a chuck in your lathe rather than a morse taper. It's what I have as I have a tiny lathe with a screw thread. It's basically just the steel rod - one end held by the chuck and the other held with your live centre.

Sanding should be done at low speed - 600rpm - you don't want to burn the wood. Just need a light touch too and work down the grits. Others are more experienced at pen turning than me.

Wemcome Tom , you have come to the right place for advice ask and you shall recieve ,
Enjoy and happy turning.

Jensmith would you be so kind as to post a image of your mandrel please so I know what to look for ??

TOM

Ok So I need a chuck with a 3/4 16 unf thread has anyone got one for sale

been on ebay but £80 odd pound is out of my price range for the moment.

Tom

Oh, if you want a chuck you're beter off posting in the For sale / wanted section so people will read your post.

Latest posts

Back