i wood - on-line pricing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
pricing wood often comes up on this forum and I see from an add in the latest F&C that there is a new source for online pricing and supply, may be handy for those wanting to price up a job.

http://www.iwood.co.uk/

I have not had time to see how the prices compare or work out what the parent company is yet.

Jason

PS sawn boards are listed in "cut to size"

Useful site to get a guide price. Min order is £750 so OK if you've a sizeable project or arrange a local group buy.

For the price/quantity spend on the example i typed in, there oak was treble the price i`d expect to pay.

Interestingly their douglas fir clear was dearer than their light character oak in the alternatives comparison.

Pretty good site and I really like the way it auto compares species. But they are way expensive. I have a job coming up where I need a lot of Iroko and their price was £200 over the best quote I have so far.

The last price I got for 1" sawn iroko was £995 per cu metre. These guys are asking £1800 :shock:

The relative pricing is potentially useful but they are too expensive for my needs.

Bob

Hello everyone. I developed the iWood website mentioned in this thread and I'm so glad to hear your positive comments about the usefulness of it. I have also passed your comments about pricing onto the company director, so thanks for that.

I'm here to ask if there are any improvements you could recommend for the site, including any parts of it that were unclear and could have used more explanation. Also if there are any features you'd like that would help you out I'd love to hear what you think.

Don't be afraid to hold back, I'm only going to learn about these things from the people that actually use it!

Thanks again,

Dave

Hi Dave.

I like the 'thinking' bubble. Nice touch.

It's not clear when you are ordering for the first time that you need to have a web account opened beforehand. No indication on the screen when you go to the shopping basket that you probably have to do this - as clicking on the Buy These Items Now button does nothing and so I assume it is because I have not logged in.

Then when you do go to create a web account...you're already to buy some stuff but...oops...'we'll get back to you' message. So no sale for you guys.

Just thought that I'd add that I went through the process of setting up a web account just before I made the last post. It's now over four hours later. That's not good. It's not as if it is a credit account where a delay would be expected.

If I'd been serious about wanting to place an order with you then I'm afraid I'd have long gone elsewhere.

Argus":p20366i7 said:
what about delivery costs?

I can't see that at all...............

I think it comes in later on after you click 'The Button That Doesn't Work'.

Still waiting for confirmation of the web account. Not very impressive TBH.

All the buttons work for me. (PC, XP and SeaMonkey)

I can get all the way to placing an order including seeing delivery rates by county without logging in or opening an account.
£750 worth of oak to Hampshire is £85
Still can't cope with the prices though! £73 per cu ft inc vat & del for 1" euro oak 200mm wide Ouch!

Bob
Edit:
For orders over £1200, delivery to most areas appears to be 'free'

Worked out why 'The Button That Does Nothing' wouldn't work. You have to have the minimum order value of £750 ex VAT placed in the Shopping Basket. Some onscreen user feedback to that effect would be helpful, iWood.

Guys, thank you so much for all of your feedback.

I'm working to change the accounts situation. You don't need one to buy but it's not obvious enough. Also, as you point out there's no reason that signing up for a website account shouldn't be instant and the current way is indeed left over from when they were going to be credit accounts that would need manual assessment.

I can't thank you enough for your help.

RogerS":23wnviea said:
Worked out why 'The Button That Does Nothing' wouldn't work. You have to have the minimum order value of £750 ex VAT placed in the Shopping Basket. Some onscreen user feedback to that effect would be helpful, iWood.

Don't forget this one.

Hi Roger,

With regards to the "Buy these items now >" button, was it grayed out because the minimum order hadn't been met, or was the text green and you could actually click it but nothing happened?

Thanks, Dave

casualbob":3d8km53u said:
Hi Roger,

With regards to the "Buy these items now >" button, was it grayed out because the minimum order hadn't been met, or was the text green and you could actually click it but nothing happened?

Thanks, Dave

Dave...neither. On my browser it was black but not-clickable until the magic £750 was reached.

Thanks Roger,

Based on your welcome suggestions, the shopping basket page has been redesigned slightly, with the buy button now always clickable to avoid the confusion of appearing to need an account to buy and a message is shown if the minimum order amount hasn't been reached.

Also the website account activation is now instant, with a standard "please follow the link in the email we've sent you to activate your account and let you log on" system.

There's no substitution for suggestions from the people who actually use the website so again I really appreciate you all taking the time to bring these things to my attention.

Dave

Having seen some of the prices quoted here, then I am quite happy staying with George Sykes, for imported timber. They are not 'cheap', by some standards, but I know what their different species cost, and they deliver free. There is no on-line ordering, but all I have to do is pick up the telephone.

I can also rely on the guy at the other end to select some decent stuff if I tell him what it's for. And if I really want to, I can go to the premises and pick up my order.

I can honestly say I have never been disappointed with any timber I bought from them.

Whitmores is another good Timber Merchant for native species. They might be fractionally dearer than Sykes, but I can make an appointment with them and go along to select my own stuff if I need to be particularly choosy.

Like they say, 'You pays your money.. etc.'

Regards
John :)

Latest posts

Back