I wonder why no one makes a ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a guess, but maybe it's because electric hand planers are already capable of hogging off a lot of material fairly swiftly, allied with the fact that you'd really want a swappable cylinder to avoid all the setting up malarkey every time you changed modes.

My electric plane can scrub faster than a room full of scrubbers (but its not as much fun) :shock: 8)

They rip like hell though, because the blades are dead square. I'd think a slightly curved blade would fit the existing block and not be so prone to ripping - the speed at which they remove material maybe it wouldn't need to be so pronounced as a scrub blade on a handplane?

That's all an electric plane is anyway...........and not a very good one, as you say, because of the straight blade.

Power planers aren't the best for large flat surfaces, they're designed predominantly for planing anything narrower than the planer itself. On a large surface they gouge material out and they generally make a large mess of the work even if all you're wanting to do is scrub material off as fast as you can. Lou's video shows you how to make a power planer far more accurate and better suited for the task of scrubbing by a few little alterations such as grinding the corners of the knives, which makes a massive difference.

Trevanion":2rj8rluo said:
[youtube]_a1HCqK5i-A[/youtube]

Thanks for that.

You know... it never ocurred to me that a power planer might need tuning, despite having fettled my er.....17 (??) handplanes. I've not touched mine for years now and didn't like it then either, but I do have some boards covered in old tar and allsorts, so maybe I'll unearth it, tune it a bit and grind off the edges of the blades.

Back