I want to drill a hole in my saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That's right, you heard me.

Just managed to drop my Veritas saw trying to hang it up on a silly holder and snapped a large chunk off the handle.

I can't be bothered with the handle shaped "hooks", I just want to hang it up on a screw just like you can with any other builders merchant type saw.

So what kind of drill bit would I need to drill through these types of saw blades? (Japanese saws, Veritas saws etc)

Any decent normal twist drill bit. Its nicer if you start small and work up to the size you want. If you do it on a pillar drill please clamp it securely.... the thought of turning a saw into a propeller :shock:

I'm not a metal-man, but if I were to attempt this (rather disconcerting, to my mind) operation, I would clamp the steel hard between two pieces of MDF before drilling, to avoid any burring and distortion of the plate..

I'd go mad and put a long screw in the wall and hang them by the handle.
If your worried about damage put a the screw though a straw, copper pipe, Hose etc.

Large cup hooks work well through the handles.
You can even get gold plated ones. :lol: :lol: 8)

Won't a saw blade be difficult to drill? I thought they were hardened and tempered.

Bm101":cr8q1ow2 said:
If your worried about damage put a the screw though a straw, copper pipe, Hose etc.
Thats kind of the problem. These saws dont have "hooped" handles.
bec16f4bb0b98caa566935122058e910.jpg

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Lons":3h5v8zwt said:
Won't a saw blade be difficult to drill? I thought they were hardened and tempered.
I thought so too, hence why I am asking about drill bits

They are but not to a particularly high level of hardness. That's why they can be sharpened with a file? Have you seen the saw racks where the saw drops and locks into a kind of cam set up?

I made one of those. Very unreliable. Any blade with a teflon or similar coating slips right through. Any knock to the unit will send at least one crashing to the workbench. I broke a bandsaw box that way.

Whats wrong with making a saw TILL, just like a plane till but thinner?

transatlantic":3o6txt9x said:
Bm101":3o6txt9x said:
Thats kind of the problem. These saws dont have "hooped" handles.
bec16f4bb0b98caa566935122058e910.jpg

It won't hang with the spine plumb but it will hang.
Another idea is use 2 bits of dowel in a bit of mdf etc. One to hang the handle and one lower down on the toothed edge to keep it plumb. Takes a lot of room mind. As Bob says a till allows you to hang a lot more saws in the same space if it's a priority.
Personally I'd do owt to avoid drilling the plate. That's an expensive saw. Why risk borking it?

If you want to drill the saw plate, I've noticed that quite a few enthusiastic saw restorers, when refitting handles, use Cobalt steel drills.
These are quite widely available these days and should cope well with the hardish steel.

Sandwiching it between two bits of wood will avoid the need to centre punch, with its risk of distortion.

My thoughts were 1) a magnet strip as above, and 2) drill a hole through the wooden handle. I hang everything from 4" nails, but I is a farmer, so what do you expect?

Having answered the original question, I'll now offer a quick and easy alternative that lets you hang it on the wall without drilling the saw at all.

Just drill two suitable size holes into the wall where you want to hang the saw. Angle the holes up by a few degrees. Make the gap between the holes bigger than the thickness of the plate but less than the thickness of the handle. About 4mm.

Hammer a bit of dowel into each hole.

Then hang the saw the opposite way round to what you were thinking of, with the handle up and the plate down.

Time required, 10 minutes.
Risk to saw, nil.

Cheers guys. Didn't realise it could damage the saw plate, I assumed the negativity towards the idea was purely aesthetics.

+1 for angled dowels if you want secure easy in / easy out on a wall without putting holes in things. I did that for my good axes and it's idi*t proof. Thankfully.

I have my good saws (the ones without holes) in a portable MDF toast rack affair.

Back