I want something made?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay okay - so no lining of anything, sounds too expensive.

No metal bits - no hinges - so dont worry about oak that way - people have been suggesting Teak and Maple? i want it light ish coloured and hardwearing.

The idea im going for here is more importantly a nice box for my portfolio to be viewed in (from), so archival quality to keep it super-safe comes second to that, lets face it ideally i'll produce new, better stuff repeatedly so it wont stay in there forever, and i can always just store them somewhere else if needs be.

its just to set myself apart a bit, on the converse side, if i was recruiting and 5 applicants came up with the same silverprint portfolio box, and one came with a hand made wooden box, everything else being constant ( ie their work/ demeanour ) i'd be all over that wooden box!

Thanks for the help guys, im speaking to a couple of people about it, definitely seem to know their stuff! :D :D

Just incase though: if you do have any other suggestions they're welcome! haha

woodbloke":3flxrvgn said:
Chems":3flxrvgn said:
woodbloke":3flxrvgn said:
PM sent - Rob

btw I have a 10% recommendation fee.
Cheeky sod :lol: ...that'll get you at least a packet of pork scratchings Chems :lol: - Rob

Digit":3flxrvgn said:
Don't think it does anything to the actual steel in reverse.
Ooooh yes it does! Corrodes it to blazes!

I've learnt something and earned myself a packet of scratchings, this is a good day!

one_tom":3flxrvgn said:
if you do have any other suggestions they're welcome! haha

How about this, spend approx 3-5k kitting yourself out with the basic gear required, spend another 3-5k upgrading this gear as the years go by as you bought small kit to begin with. Set aside another chunk of money for wood. Then another 10-15k for the future of tool buying as your hobby deepens. I did a similar thing years ago to make a desk. Now I look back on it that £400 the local cabinet maker wanted for it seems very cheap . . . . . .

As an aside, I wanted to say that having a nice portfolio case would mean that the person interviewing would have to be a judge the book by the cover sort of person. Then again if that wasn't true everyone would turn up for interviews in their pyjamas knowing the panel would see past the clothing and hire them rather than wearing their best suit for the day. So kudos to you for going the extra distance to separate yourself from the crowd. I hope it pays off for you!

Chems":3k15k1ze said:
How about this, spend approx 3-5k kitting yourself out with the basic gear required, spend another 3-5k upgrading this gear as the years go by as you bought small kit to begin with. Set aside another chunk of money for wood. Then another 10-15k for the future of tool buying as your hobby deepens. I did a similar thing years ago to make a desk. Now I look back on it that £400 the local cabinet maker wanted for it seems very cheap . . . . . .

If only. This is a dream of mine, but alas, i need a box to put a portfolio in to get a job to get some money to pay for a hobby to make a box.

Chems":3k15k1ze said:
As an aside, I wanted to say that having a nice portfolio case would mean that the person interviewing would have to be a judge the book by the cover sort of person. Then again if that wasn't true everyone would turn up for interviews in their pyjamas knowing the panel would see past the clothing and hire them rather than wearing their best suit for the day. So kudos to you for going the extra distance to separate yourself from the crowd. I hope it pays off for you!

Agreed, but in a nutshell:

Im a graphic designer.. i design the book cover. ;) !!

I reckon you need it somewhat bigger than "just larger than A3" so you can get your fingers down inside to lift sheets out without damage.

Tony Spear":1lc4r36v said:
I reckon you need it somewhat bigger than "just larger than A3" so you can get your fingers down inside to lift sheets out without damage.

on that, the size is is to allow for them all to fit, if it was much bigger they would slide around and look messy, having some groves to allow a finger down the side etc/ maybe going to attach a ribbon to the bottom of the box to simply lift so that one side of the pages lifts up to be easily lifted out. bosh! :D

In 8-10mm solid timber, it's going to be pretty heavy - the "obvious" route is good (modelling/aircraft?) 3 ply, with a decorative veneer vacuum pressed on, with a balancing veneer on the other side. That gives you nice-to-look-at 5 ply.

BugBear

I have one of those archival boxes along with the carry case & the special clear sleeves for my hand printed (real) photographs ..it cost me a small fortune at a time when I could barely afford to feed myself (in a previous life it seems)..& they are archival because they do not use glues or products that give off sulphur which discolours photographs over years (like those cheopo, sticky lined type of photo album).

If it's for short periods of time only then the type of wood choosen should be based on looks, weight & durability. An A3 size box in 10mm English Oak will be weighty & not be too easy to carry on the tube..but it will look great & hold a hinge better than most other woods (please correct me anyone if I am wrong), Ash (in my opinion) has been spoiled by cheap furniture but I still think it looks great & I'm not sure a pine box would impress anyone. I do not use (new) imported wood for ecological reasons & personally think that it's mans sad ego that is having the precious rain forests cut down. However, the people you intend to impress - would they know a locally sourced timber from a Brazilian/ African hardwood & would they have an opinion on it, good or bad ?

I am a new designer maker with some good & fairly original ideas. My prices are very reasonable ..but my skills are not nearly as well honed as the experts here (hence the good prices & my reason for being on this site) but what I do I care about & I'd appreciate your business very much. I'm not sure what the rules are about talking business on these forums so you can send me a personal message if you'd like a quotation from me.

one_tom":7uh3kguf said:
okay okay - so no lining of anything, sounds too expensive.

No metal bits - no hinges - so dont worry about oak that way - people have been suggesting Teak and Maple? i want it light ish coloured and hardwearing.

You have to have something...either a lining, or hinges or preferably both (but that would increase the cost...hinges :evil: :evil: ) If you don't have a lining then there's no accurate and easy way for the lid to locate onto the lower part of the box and a lining is much easier to fit to the interior of a box than it is to hinge a lid (that's to do it accurately)...so a lining is the way to do it.
For light coloured timbers, maple is first choice, followed by sycamore and ash. I've suggested a teak box, but a maple lined interior would look rather posh as well, with a black or red velvet ribbon to lift the contents out - Rob

Back