I want something made?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one_tom

Reaction score
Okay im completely lost in the internet trying to find somewhere to make a 'relatively' simple wooden box for me, one-off.

came across this site and thought there it might be worth asking where i could get this done. -- sorry if its not the right place for this kind of thing!

Basically i want a 'portfolio box' made, just larger than a3 paper inside about 6cm deep, finger joint/ i guess groove joint top and bottom. out of oak. box thickness about 8-10mm all over i guess? with the top just lifting off and a flange to keep it in place... Ive made a cg 3d model of it added below , and would happily alter things if its for the best.

Does anyone know where i could turn to get this made professionally? it is a portfolio box so will need to be perrrrfectttt

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-29 at 17.13.02.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-29 at 17.13.02.png
    83 KB · Views: 407
This seems to be a commonly available commercial product - why do you want a custom one, and what's your budget?

BugBear

bugbear":3ibd1mb5 said:
This seems to be a commonly available commercial product - why do you want a custom one, and what's your budget?

BugBear

! please let me know where ! ive so far found one place that sells them in minimum units of 10...

Ahh yeah, i know they make them dont worry, i thought you meant there were wooden ones.

The reason i want one made is because i want one made from wood!

I hope this clarifies things, Oh and I've just tried to e-mail that person cambournepete, but there was a DNS error so theres something up with his e-mail, i will call him later.

Thanks guys any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Ah thanks, i'll message the first guy, i think anyone who makes anything for a royal wedding will just cost way more money than i posses

i guess by perfect i dont mean royal wedding i mean.. that on the inside it has to be a very exact measurement hah, i officially know nothing about woodworking so i have no ideas about the different stages of perfection!

Thanks for the help again!

Careful with oak depending on what's going into your portfolio, oak is a fairly acidic timber.

thanks thats exactly the kind of thing i didnt know!

what about pine? ( i dont really want really fancy woods you see )

custard":3lvj84eu said:
Careful with oak depending on what's going into your portfolio, oak is a fairly acidic timber.

Could you explain this further, if wet stuff was being stored in it acid attack is possible, but I can't think of any other circumstances where acid attack is going to happen.

doctor Bob":yaphgvh6 said:
custard":yaphgvh6 said:

Could you explain this further, if wet stuff was being stored in it acid attack is possible, but I can't think of any other circumstances where acid attack is going to happen.

Anything steel touching oak will cause staining of the oak, isn't that right? Don't think it does anything to the actual steel in reverse.

I think if paper is going to be damaged by oak it may take a few centuries.
Otherwise i'm in big trouble as I have made numerous oak studies and libraries

Be careful what glues are used to if it's for long term storage as many glues give off gasses that will yellow/upset paper. So long as you aren't trapping moisture inside the box or creating some kind of micro environment it will probably be ok.

Personally i'd go for one of the archival boxes museums use to store documents. They aren't the most amazing of items but they are made from materials designed to be against/around delicate papers.

Latest posts

Back