I want some sardines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mackerel fillets in oil from Lidl. Better than sardines, in my opinion.
Straight from the tin with a slice of Shipton Mill Malthouse flour bread.

no no no no no………two pieces of toast with melted butter, crack the tin slightly then drizzle the olive oil all over the toast where it will soak right in then spread the mackerel…….🤤🤤🤤🤤

For the first time in several decades, I actually had sardines on toast just the other night. I was a bit disappointed because I was really looking forward to using the little key to wind back the lid. No key and it was a pull tab opener. What a let-down. Also, the sardines were tiny! I must have been a child when I last had them because I am sure the fish were much bigger when Iast ate then. They were in a tomato sauce with smoked paprika. It may be several more decades before I try sardines again.

Anybody tried to buy tinned sardines lately? Don't bother there aren't any.

50 years ago, when I was living in a bedsit in the worst part of Bournemouth (Boscombe Crescent, if anyone knows the area), sharing a rather disgusting bathroom and living on the wages of an apprentice TV service engineer, my one 'luxury' on a weekend was sardines on toast. A very humble luxury, but there you are.

Feeling nostalgic, I thought I'd buy a tin a couple of months ago. Among the unpredicatable and surprising shortages due to *your pet annoyance here*, the supermarkets have, apparently, been out of tinned sardines for months, and still are, around here anyway. Unless, for some strange reason, you like them in tomato sauce. I don't.

So, 50 years on, this is progress. You can't go to Sainsburys (or Tesco, or Lidl) and buy a tin of sardines. Yes, I know... a first world problem, I should be thankful I don't live in Yemen, blah blah blah.

Just another trivial annoyance in the death by a thousand cuts we call life in 2021. I'm more and more looking forward to not waking up in the morning.
Not even King Oscar sardines in olive oil? Expensive here in Norway, but readily available. And THE BEST according to my Aussie mate Kenny.

only a few weeks ago I

😆 in the summer, a customer and his wife too me and my family out to lunch. There wasnt much on the starters menu i facied, but i saw white bait ( not knowing what it was ) and thought id give it a go.... its not for me!

I had to sit there and ( very ) slowly crunch through the little bones and make some attempt to eat it 🤣
Not my cup of tea. Smoked Mackrell, yes, love it, even if having to pick the bones out takes me an hour 😄

Back