I urge you all...........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0legs

Established Member
Reaction score
I urge you all ....................... to use dust extraction and face masks.

You may think "what the hell is he on about now?", well I'll tell you.
This is one of the very very rare occasions where I will talk about my private life.

We, myself and my family, are watching my mother slowly dying from Fibrosing Alveolitis . It's a thickening of the walls of the air sacs in the lungs, causing a shortness of breath.

Here's a link:-http://www.aviva.co.uk/health-insurance/home-of-health/medical-centre/medical-encyclopedia/entry/fibrosing-alveolitis/

We are in the third year of my mothers suffering. Since the start of the year she has been admitted to hospital three times, the first in May and the most recent was a few weeks ago. She came home Friday.
This latest stay was via a full "blues and twos" run in an ambulance, fearing she had suffered a heart attack. She didn't have a heart attack but a chronic chest infection was diagnosed. The fifth or sixth of the year.
Mum has had so many antibiotics the national supply has got to be running low. I'm getting fed up hearing she's now on this or that pill/drug/medicine, god only knows how she feels. Me, I want action, I want my mum back.

So why have I decided on making this post?
My mum has never worked in industry, neither has she worked in the building game. Most people might think mum has had an easy life with not needing to work, being a housewife and mother kept her busy enough.
We expose ourselves to all of the things my mum has avoided, all of the things that most would consider the cause of chest and respiratory disease.
Mum has been on oxygen since the end of May. The dose was set at 2 Lpm (litres per minute), whilst she was moving about this could be raised up to 2.5 Lpm.
This was supposed to be for up to 16 hours a day.
That didn't last long, it's been a constant 24 hrs a day since the middle of June.
In hospital they set it at 6 Lpm until they got the infection under control and now she's home it's back down to 3 Lpm, with her confined to a chair or bed.

Still not seeing what I'm getting at?
Well I'll tell you a little something else about good old n0legs. I ain't been scared of anything since I was six years old, but I'm terrified of losing my mum.
And in recent times I've been getting worried about what I've been breathing in over the years.
I try and work safe, I have a dust extractor and I wear dust masks. There's a 6 inch extractor fan in the wall of my shed that's on more than it's off these days.
I'm on a self imposed program of improving my set up. I spent time Friday and Saturday getting the extraction to work with my thicknesser and I've bought longer hose so all of the tools can be connected eventually. The table saw and router table are next, they already have connections but they need to be better.

I'm not looking for sympathy, we all have our own problems, it wasn't the purpose of this post. I've decided to open up a little to hopefully get everyone thinking.
Watching what my mum is going through, the pain, the lifestyle limiting conditions, the hassles of doctors and hospital appointments, etc, etc, has made me think. I won't mention the unmentionable.

Do I chuck in this hobby I so enjoy, or do I make changes?
I'm going to start with some changes to the way I do this first, I'll see how I get on.
Thanks for reading.

I know you're not looking for sympathy and I understand your reason for the post (I hope).
I'd still like to say I'm sorry to hear about your mum and wish you and all your family the best.
We all have times in our lives which open our eyes and change our priorities (mine was last year and early this year) and I hope others will heed the message from your post.
Take care
Adam

Sobering story! Thanks for giving those of us who need it a kick up the backside

Really sorry for you and your family, I know how you feel as I watched my father die slowly in similar circumstances due to emphysema from his years in the coal mines. The memory is still vivid even though it's 15 years since he died.

My sympathies for you n0legs, lost my father to cancer many years ago and my mother to a blood clot. As for dust well I have worked in farming all my life with dust all around me, as for my workshop I have dust extraction fitted to all my machines and an air filter system. I will say one thing and then we will all need to wear masks permanently. Next time you walk into your house and into any room in the dark use a torch and just watch the dust that is floating in the air all around you.

Hi Alan,
so sorry to hear the problems that your mother is having. Noody wants to watch anyone, let lone a dear parent getting worse in this way and without having the ability to help. I lost my younger sister to MS some years ago and my older sister to cancer recently and it's lousy seeing them so ill.

Dust is also very high on my own list, as I have asthma and recenly had to go into hospital again wih breathing problems. It's my own fault for not being strict enough where dust is concerned and doing 'just a little job' without considering that my mask should be on. Even brushing up the floor can set me off and make my chest tight. I have also been using an old (34-40 years) Henry, that seemed to be good but still put out fine dust in the air for me to breath in.

I have just upgraded the vac to a Festool CT26 and also added an Axminster Numatic NVD750 chip & dust extractorwith twin motors and high filtration. Together with my Trend Airace mask being worn whenever I do anything, I hope to fend off the tiny particles that do the damage and avoid any more hospital trips.

Having retired five years ago and found this woodworking hobby a couple of years ago, I hate the thought of having to give it all up as I have many plans that I would hope to put in place over the next few years. Coming up to 75 next year but often feeling about 55 when I have no breathing problems, I do want to enjoy my retirement for a few more years.

We all get called to our maker at some time and all have our names written down somewhere, so live as best you can and when someone passed, just think of all the good times they have had in their lifetime and not the bad times that are far fewer. Good luck, God Bless.

Sorry to read about the problems your Mum has, and wish her all the best, and fully understand your anguish over her condition, we only have one Mum, and they are very precious. It leaves a big hole when we loss them.

Your waring regarding, taking care with what we inhale is so very important, and so easily overlooked, as the harm caused isn’t immediate, it can be many years later.

I inhaled large amounts of Phosgene, during my working live, and I am sure it was a major factor in me contracting (Multiple Sclerosis).

Take care.

Chris R.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, they are all very much appreciated :D
Receiving the feedback from you guys and reading your own stories is a massive help. To those of you with your own health issues then you all have my sympathies and best wishes.

Thank you
Allan

It's a kind and caring person that takes time out from a distressing situation to warn others of potential danger. I've taken your warning on board, thank you. I wish I could offer something more useful than sympathy in return - I can't - but I'm a firm believer in Karma and trust that life will treat you well.

Take care

Paul

Allan

You have my deepest sympathy.

I don't know whether you have noticed this today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34360865

It just goes to show that sometimes problems with your lungs can be a matter of bad luck.

The article may also explain something I could never understand. My mother was adamant that smoking never caused any problems. She smoked cigarettes on and off for years and died in her late 80s having suffered with Alzheimer's for several years. My mother's view was formed by the fact that her father smoked like a chimney and grew up and lived in Central London all his life from the 1880s to the 1960s with all the smoke and grime during that time. I remember him coming to my parents' house with nicotine stained fingers and moustache. He finally died in his 80s from a heart attack. His wife, my grandmother, never smoked although she too was born and always lived in Central London. She died of lung cancer in her 30s.

Having said all that, as the article says, don't risk lung problems; so don't smoke and always wear respiratory protection when working in a dusty atmosphere.

Well, I have an update
This morning at 6:40 my mum passed away.
I'm not shocked or in a state of shock. This day has been expected for the last few months.
Another chest infection, a bad one again, was diagnosed last week. Yesterday mum was rushed to hospital, whilst on "my watch", dad was out at an appointment with her consultant that she herself was too ill to attend.
This infection had really bitten in deep and grabbed hold of her, there wasn't anything anyone could do.

I've had time to think as well as carry out other duties as eldest son.
What I think is this.
With these diseases, ailments and conditions all existing out there waiting to jump on us, just because they can, we need to protect ourselves.
My mothers breathing over the last 24 hours is something I cannot describe. The noises she was making trying to to take a breath were unreal, even whilst being fed 15Lpm of oxygen.
This disease that has taken my mother comes under "natural causes".
We stand and expose ourselves to clouds of dust in the name of our hobbies and professions.
Wear masks and use dust extraction, respiratory illness doesn't need any help in its ability to harm you.
Please take care.
Best wishes to you all.
Allan

Sorry for your loss Allan, best wishes to you and your family, I lost my grandfather to pulmonary fibrosis a very similar condition,brought about by his exposure to asbestos through his working life ( He was a Stoker in the Navy during the war, and later an engineer for a mining company).
It's certainly a sobering and thought provoking experience which I wouldn't want anyone to have to endure, but as you know, It certainly does make you think about what we are exposing ourselves to. I can only echo your sentiments about using respiratory protection.

Allan, I'm so sorry to hear your news. I can relate to what you're going through. I went through something similar with my Dad last year. He had COPD which is very similar. He'd had it for about 10 years and it had slowly got worse and worse. His was because of smoking. I still miss him everyday and it's most poignant when times are tough etc. However all I can say is that it does get easier. The hardest times are birthdays and Christmas and specific days such as his Birthday or wedding anniversary. I took the day off on the anniversary of his death and spent the day with my mum being busy and that helped.

Anyway the first few weeks will feel like life has changed forever, and obviously it has, but you will get back to "normal" and cope with it. The thing to do is to try and remember the good times. My thoughts are with you.

At least you were with your mum, when my Dad passed away I was 30,000 ft above the Atlantic on my way back from Florida so my poor mum had to cope on her own (I'm an only child) I still feel guilty about that because the last time I saw my dad I just knew it was going be the last time. He was no worse than he had been in previous months or anything, but somehow I just knew. I know I couldn't have stayed behind and he would have been the first to tell me what an silly person I was being but I just knew I wouldn't see him again. So try to take comfort in the positives.

Latest posts

Back