I think I need Bobs help?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 'new' old Wolf belt sander. I started to use it today when just after pulling the trigger it went pop! and a puff of smoke appeared from around the trigger area! I took the handle apart and it appears to be what I think is a resistor between the trigger and feed wires to the motor. Do you think it is dead or can I renew this what I think is a resistor. Maybe I could get one from Maplins if this is the case? :?

It's probably less of a resistor and more of a fuse. Can you see the rating on it?

Aidan

Ah thanks guys. Yes I do own a multimeter Hudsl...but have no idea what to do with it other than check for continuity. There is some lettering on it with small diagram but I will need a magnifier to read it. (old age is terrible) I haven't been in the shop today but will have a look tomorrow and get back to you with the details. I do know that the small diagram looks like two switches with a bar in between them.

To me that sounds like a double pole switch but I bet I am imagining a switch symbol for circuit diagrams and its not going to be a switch anyway if its not something you press or squeeze.

Picture would be handy to ID the component, if Bob don't come along and know ill look out for the picture tomorrow to further advise. I take it the motor still turns with you hand.

I've only just seen this Alan - sorry I've been with one of those types from the other side trying to get a big wadkin planer working today.

Are there two of these things? one in each supply lead between switch and motor? If so I expect they will be suppression chokes and are not vital to operation so can be bypassed.

hth
Bob

Spot on XY, it is that exact machine but badged as Wolf and that is indeed the part. many thanks. Bob, there only seems to be the one in the handle and the two wires from it seem to span between the red and black wires. I am afraid I don't know anything about electric motors although I have stripped them down before and replaced things like bearings.

It is a capacitor, especially constructed for continuous use across the mains.
To be honest, I would just remove all the debris, and insulate any bare wires and press on.

Bob

As a matter of interest, is the Makita a re-badged Wolf design, or vice versa? Pretty sure the small hand held plane that is (was?) badged Makita was originally a (British) Wolf, and then Wolf was swallowed by Makita.
Whichever way it is, that belt sander is a brute!

dickm, to shed some light on that. Many, many moons ago I went to my local tool shop to buy my second power tool. The first was a Wolf Sapphire 73 drill. I had decided a hand held electric planer would be useful and had seen adds for the Wolf. When I asked at the shop they had me compare the Wolf and the Makita on the shelf next to it. Identical they were and the Wolf had the Makita Electric Works logo on the plate. I was told that Makita had bought the Wolf brand to gain a foot hold, should that be paw hold, in Europe. As the Makita pricing allowed me to buy the next machine up that's what happened. I have tended to buy Makita since. When I began working for myself I was pleased to find a Makita service agent very close to home. Now I have not needed his services very often, but still comforted that he is there.

HTH xy

Well thanks for all the help guys, it is now working. :D This is the sander in all it's glory:
sanderleft.jpg

I too think that Wolf was taken over by Makita XY.
Bob, thanks mate, I cut out the 'thing' Here it is:
resistor.jpg

And I re connected the wires to the switch. I also had to replace the fuse in the plug as it had blown this, but it is now up and running, and what a beast it is. I think I shall have to do a few workouts as it is much heavier than my old Skill one! :eek:

Hi Alan,

Yes that is a suppressor to help stop any sparks from the commutator front interfering with the radio and television.
Well I'm sure that it makes so much noise that you can't even hear the radio and also you should not be watching TV whilst sanding so the thing is redundant :lol:

Also the 5th lead should have gone to earth but id the earth lead to the tool ever fails, any metalwork on the machine will float up to 1/2 mains voltage and give you a minor shock. :shock:
So all in all you are better off without it.

Bob

dickm(Mailee), the best tip I can offer is to make sure you are well anchored before switching on if you use a course grit belt:)
If you are after fun try sanding a floor, it doesn't half give the core muscles a workout. But all in all a tank in your hands there.
xy
edit sorry mind slip
this post should have been addressed to Mailee

My understanding is that the suppressors don't do anything useful to prevent the sparks but instead provide a low impedance path for the RF energy from the spark to ground and reducing the tendency for the supply lead to act as an antenna broadcasting interference to adjacent receivers (Radio & TV).

Bob

Is that less of a problem as we move away from analogue transmissions Bob? My digital recievers seem less prone to pops etc., as the fridge compressor starts up.
xy

Back