• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

i think i need a router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

marsaday

Reaction score
My longish post has disappeared, so here i go again.

I need to buy a router for some shelf work, but i also want to know if i would use this for 2 other tasks.

1) shelves = need to rout an ogee line onto my 2 x 1" batons which will hold the shelves up (photo included)

2) gate post top = i have two oak gate posts in place and these will need cutting down and the flat top shaping to shed water. Do a use a router for this job or maybe a planer ?

3) Door mono pitch canopy = Made with 2x2 or 3x2, but i want the ends to be rounded off. How do i achieve this ? Does a router do this for me ?

Attachments

marsaday

Reaction score
I will use a saw to cut the posts down, but couldn't i use a router to put a corner finish all the way round the top, so water runs off ?

With the mono roof, how do you use a saw to get a rounded finish on the ends which will be seen and so you want then to be a bit more decorative.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
Only one router? Well it's a start. :wink: I have five and that could be doubled without feeling like I had too many.

You could do much of the work with hand tools. The post could be rough shaped with a saw and then you can use various grades of sandpaper to refine the shape. A plane, if you have one will do it too. There is always more than one way to do a task. Get a good router by a decent company and it will outlast you.

Pete

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Routers are fantastic tools. I also have 5.
answering your questions, Dont leave end grain pointing upwards on your fence posts, leave the square and then use wooden caps such as these
https://www.decksdirect.com/deck-fence-post-caps

They can be shaped with a router.
For your shelves all long side roundover work is a matter of seconds with a router, end grain can be more difficult because the high speed router may tear out some wood.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
I would just use a saw, a hand plane #405/450 or similar to shape the edges and a rasp followed with Mitka sanding mesh. By the time you had set up and dialled in the router I'd on the sanding