I think I broke my Triton Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
I was feeding trough some glued board to thickness when one side tilted and became wedged. The motor stopped, I immediately pushed the red stop and unplugged it. raised the cutter and removed the wood. Now when I plug in and power it up, nothing happens, the motor doesn't startup.

I've checked obvious stuff like the fuse. Anything else to check? Have I just basically managed to burn out the motor?

Does it make noise when you switch it on? Usually if the motor is jammed you can hear a buzzing sound. If not then I would assume the brushes are not getting the power. (Im not sure if it applies to brushless motors though.)
good luck

transatlantic":2evl8s7g said:
It has a circuit breaker, did you check that?

Yes this was it. Didn't realise that it was there, but...

Osvaldd":2evl8s7g said:
Does it make noise when you switch it on?

It made a terrible noise when I hit the reset and turned it on. which turned out to be

tritin-blades.png

broken blade, bent blade holder and the screws had come out and were bashing on the casing.

I think I'll count myself lucky on this.

Hopefully a few spare parts will cure this. I know that the blades are available, do you happen to know if the screws and other parts are too?

ScaredyCat":b2g94gxz said:
Hopefully a few spare parts will cure this. I know that the blades are available, do you happen to know if the screws and other parts are too?

The screws should be standard sized metric ones (M6 at a guess) which you can pick up for pennies from your local nut and bolt shop, or online if you don't have a local shop. Just don't be tempted to buy stainless steel fasteners as these can lock themselves in solid once tightened up and left for a while, especially in a disimilar metal like aluminium.

Did you check if the cutterhead or gibs were damaged at all?

transatlantic":au7u246w said:
If it wedged like you said, you might want to check it still rises/falls parallel.

Just checked and it seems to rise and fall with no issues and it's hitting the dust rings on all 4 supports at the same time.

Trevanion":au7u246w said:
Did you check if the cutterhead or gibs were damaged at all?

Yes. Cutter head seems ok. - I've checked the threads with one of the good screws and they all hold fine. Looks like the screw threads got destroyed (see in the little glass pot), not the head threads. One gib/blade is fine with no damage at all, the other is the broken blade and gib which is a bit bent.

I found tritontools.uk.com and they have spares. I think I'll just get all the bits from there. I appreciate I might pay a little more but I'll know I'm not buying the wrong parts.

Thanks for all the help.

ScaredyCat":2w98c3u2 said:
I found tritontools.uk.com and they have spares. I think I'll just get all the bits from there. I appreciate I might pay a little more but I'll know I'm not buying the wrong parts.

:shock:

The amount they want for a single screw is more than it would cost to buy all you needed plus some for stock!

Yes, I know. Initially I thought it was for a pack of screws. This is the price of ignorance.

ScaredyCat":1ktlac69 said:
Yes, I know. Initially I thought it was for a pack of screws. This is the price of ignorance.

That's the problem with spare part firms, they really screw you on the prices of the little things :lol:

Try these, double check that your screws are indeed M6 (6mm diameter) screws and measure the length not including the head of the screw and order what you need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-BLACK-HIGH-TENSILE-10-9-BUTTON-HEAD-ALLEN-BOLTS-SELF-COLOUR-DOME-SOCKET-SCREW/121829594439

Parts arrived quickly, All fitted, minimal fuss it's up and running again. Thanks for the help :)

Latest posts

Back