I.Sorby no.4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I've not just taken over a plane making business hoping to compete with that sort of thing!

A nice looking plane, even if it's "only" got a Stanley iron. Don't you already have a No. 4? :wink:

Andy,

Who me ?

I've been following Jim's example and culling the Bailey types.

Just binned a broken Hellstedt no.4 but I did keep the Erik Anton Berg iron :D .

Toby,

Thanks but the red ones usually have a more modern frog, so I'll stick with my cracked early Stanley for now.

Absolute bargain

I suppose all of us have different ideas of what a bargain is!!

The first no 4 I bought was a late 70s Record from Ebay for £15 inc postage. The last was a Stanley with wooden handles but with rust on the sole, from a boot sale for £1.

But a Sorby no4 is going to be a lot less common.

Mr_P":298erojj said:
Andy,

Who me ?

I've been following Jim's example and culling the Bailey types.

Just binned a broken Hellstedt no.4 but I did keep the Erik Anton Berg iron :D .

Toby,

Thanks but the red ones usually have a more modern frog, so I'll stick with my cracked early Stanley for now.

So you haven't seen it then, it's a black one in a secret listing. The red ones are teriable and their frog design is just as bad.

TT

i sold a sorby no4 3 wk ago to a chap in germany the 2nd hand tool market is very poor there
also sold a mathieson no4 to paul sellars along whith 8 sorby pig sticker mortice chisels
there is a good strong base for good used tools to be had still

Toby,
Then again I could just be being subtle on an open forum.

Red S5 here, then again its been re-painted (none of mine have numbers on).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271638618178? ... EBIDX%3AIT

red s5 frog.jpg

Attachments

• red s5 frog.jpg
    red s5 frog.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,982
lurcher":1f25nauq said:
i sold a sorby no4 3 wk ago to a chap in germany the 2nd hand tool market is very poor there
also sold a mathieson no4 to paul sellars along whith 8 sorby pig sticker mortice chisels
there is a good strong base for good used tools to be had still

Ah, the guy who made me buy a marples bench plane. After seeing yours i had to own one. I now own a no4, on look out for a no5 but don't want to pay what eBay is after.

I saw that one P its very ugly. I don't use planes with that frog design anymore.
That sounds a bit snobby but it's true :)

TT

Especially for Vann,

A nice group shot of my I.Sorby 4,5,6 and Record 05 1/2 (I didn't paint it).

4 5 6 rec 5half.jpg

Two came with genuine I.Sorby lever caps but not one single original iron :cry:

Attachments

• 4 5 6 rec 5half.jpg
    4 5 6 rec 5half.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 1,811
sorby planes are just darn good tools you get a good solid tool for your money
i have the full set 3 to no 7 altho all mine are marples but they were cast in sme mould as sorby just the name is changed

Back