I should have made this........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
........but alas my skills in this craft are but primitive offerings compared to those executed to make this working model of a spinning wheel I gave to my other half for Christmas :wink:

Credit where credit is due goes to a Mr R.A.Fisher of Syston Leicestershire =D>

Cheers
Andy

Apologies for the picture :oops: I need to take some better ones....

dec2911018.jpg

Richard T":2q0j2hny said:
good grief .... looks good - but does it work?

Cheers Richard, not got any fibers to put through it yet but every chance it will work :D
Each detail is as it should be on a full sized wheel :wink: (not that I know that much about spinning wheels :oops: :roll: )

To give a better idea of scale the wheel diameter is 8 1/2" and it stands just 23" to the top 8)

Not sure what the timber is yet :?:

Andy

out of interest, what is the bearing on the flyer/bobbin spindle? Reason for asking is that I made a similar (but MUCH less ornate) wheel for SWMBO some 20 years ago, and the design recommended bare wood for the rear bearing and oiled leather for the front. It was a total failure!
Ended up using proper oilite bushes front and rear, which worked well (until Pickfords bent the spindle - b*****ds!), but look very much out of keepiing.
I've been wondering about trying some form of nylon/PTFE or something, which could at least be made to look a bit more attractive.

(SWMBO is currently spinning alpaca - be interesting to see how it comes out. She got pretty competent with conventional wool)

You really didn't have a good time with them Pick boys did you Dick :evil:

The spindle on this one spins on leather parts Dick.....

If the sun shines tomorrow I will see about taking some nice close ups of all of it :idea:

Cheers
Andy

Latest posts

Back