I saw a Disston...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a brochure from the oak framing people Prime Oak yesterday (we're pondering a conservatory/extension) and in one of their photos there was picture of a bunch (is that the right collective noun?) of wooden handled chisels lying across a large Disston saw.

Just thought the Disston fans might be interested...

That tool list made me smile.
First item, Watch, as in "Do Not Be Late"
There is also a plane that I've never heard of before "Scudding Plane [A smoother with its blade ground slightly convex]".

Andy

Too bad, Pete. I was thinking you'd stumbled across a mother lode of D7s or something. :roll: Hmm, what is the collective noun for chisels? :?

Andy, scud plane is yet another term for a scrub. As is roughing plane, cow plane, hunter plane, bismark and scurfing plane, according to Salaman. He also tosses in the furring plane too. I see there's a tool shop on their list I hadn't come across before too... :eek:

Cheers, Alf

A "pare" of chisels? :) No?..... :? Okaay... :roll: :( :cry:

I like 'em, keep them coming. I wondered about a "firm", 'cos of firmer chisels, but these days I suppose a "bevel" of chisels is more common. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

If there's just two of them, would it be a 'brace'? :wink:

Alf, at the risk of a Galoot in Training questioning a Colonel of Galoots, D.C. & Bar, would a smoother with only a "slightly convex" blade really be a scrub? I would have thought it would simply be a smoother than didn't leave marks.

I'll now creep back into dead ground, given the possible existence of a grandmother and some eggs.

JS

jas":ranugdcl said:
Alf, at the risk of a Galoot in Training questioning a Colonel of Galoots, D.C. & Bar ( " :roll: " says Alf) would a smoother with only a "slightly convex" blade really be a scrub? I would have thought it would simply be a smoother than didn't leave marks.
Fair point. I was more answering the name query than the specific descripton on the list. Trouble is you don't know what the writer considers "slightly". Some scrub users would consider my scrub blade only "slightly" convex in comparison to theirs, so... :? But yep, you're quite right, it doesn't sound very scrub-like. Does that mean I get demoted? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

no, of course not. Your recent reviews may well result in your being gazetted for another bar.

I note that you ignored the 'brace' comment.

JS

Latest posts

Back