I Remember,I Remember..........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamboree bags, gob-stoppers, penny chews, aniseed balls. Tapioca pudding. NHS orange juice. Helping granny put her washing thru the mangle. Helping grandad develop B&W photos.

Robin Hood, William Tell and Ivanhoe. Blue Peter with Christopher Trace. Crackerjack with Lesley Crowther, Peter Glaze and Pip Hinton. Sunday night bath and coming down to listen to "I'm sorry I'll read that again" and "Round the Horne" and "The Men from the Ministry".

Climbing over the council rubbish dump to find a pram and hack off the wheels for a trolley. Calling out the repair man to get my hampster out from inside the TV. A B&W picture so grainy that we couldn't see the ball when we watched Wimbledon. Dandy Spud Guns (and shooting dog sh*t at your mates), conkers, burning the tar out from between the concrete panels of our classroom with a magnifying glass. Stuffing a "Roman Candle" up the toilet overflow pipe when the English teacher was in the loo. Scrumping tomatoes and giving them back thru the business end of a catapult all over the side of the owners newly white-washed house.

Gettig ready for bed in front of the fire. Ice on the windowsill (inside!) on a winter's morning. The pain of the returning circulation to your fingers when coming from the paper round on a frosty morning.

Gawd - I'm becoming an old git! :D

DomValente":145kmzci said:
FOR THE OVER 50’S WHO ARE PIS*ED OFF I HOPE THIS WILL MAKE YOU SMILE

Finger bobs
The Beano, Dandy, Buster, and Dennis the menace
Rolly Poly
Hula Hoops (Not the one’s you eat)
The smell of sun on fresh cut grass
Bazooka Joe bubble gum
Watching Sunday Morning cartoons…..Short commercials, the Double Decker’s, Road Runner, He Man, The Magic Roundabout, The Wacky Races, Popeye, Swapshop and Why Don’t You and being allowed to stay up to watch Doctor Who.
When around the corner seemed far away and going to town felt like you were going somewhere.
When nobody owned their own house and being on the property ladder meant you had built a den or tree house.
Your street was the best adventure playground in the world.
Earwigs, Wasps, Stinging Nettles and Bee stings.
Sticky Fingers, Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, Zorro and Climbing Trees.
Walking to school no matter what the Weather.
Running till you were out of breath and getting the stitch, Laughing so hard that your belly hurt.
Jumping on a bed, Pillow Fights, Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was a cause for giggles and being tired from playing…….. Starting to remember?

The Worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
Water Balloons were an ultimate weapon of war.
Playing cards in the spokes of your bike transforming it into a Motorcycle.
Choppers and Grifters
Eating Raw Jelly
Orange squash ice pops
And We’re not finished yet!

Remember when there was two types of Trainers………Girls and Boys…And Dunlop green was flash and the only time you could wear them was in PE at School.
You knew everybody in your street and so did your parents.
It wasn’t odd to have Three best friends.
You slept a wink on Christmas eve.
When nobody owned a pure bred dog.
When 25p was very very good pocket money.
When you would reach into a muddy gutter for a dropped penny.
When everybody’s mum was at home when the kids returned from school.
When it was a real treat to go out to dinner at a real restaurant.
You only when to the cinema once in a blue moon.
When a parent could discipline a kid, or feed them, or use them to carry shopping and nobody, not even the kid thought a thing of it.
When being sent to the heads office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited you when you got home.

Basically we were in fear for our lives but it had nothing to do with Drive-by-shootings, Drugs, or Gangs.
Your parents were a much bigger threat! And some of us are still afraid of them!!

Remember When……….

All-important decisions were made doing “IP DIP DOG SH*T”
Race issues were about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in Monopoly.
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs, and the worst part of the day was to have to sit by one.
It was unbelievable that British Bulldogs was not an Olympic event.
Having a weapon in school was to be caught with your catapult.
Nobody was prettier than your Mum.
Scrapes and Bruises were kissed and instantly better.
Drug taking meant Orange flavour chewable Aspirin.
Ice cream was a basic food group and not the devil.
A foot of snow was a dream come true.
Older siblings were your worst tormentor but also your fiercest defenders.

If you can remember these things then you have LIVED
And all you can do is feel sorry for the poor saps that grow up these days……

STILL FEELING PIS*ED OFF? BET YOUR SMILING

Over 50s? :shock: :shock:

I'm late 30's and it's all from my younger era! :wink: :wink:

Dicky Mint.

A Big Thankyou to DomValente, and all the others for bringing my childhood rushing back......
when everybodies door was always open and a simple knock and in they`d stroll" its me!" from the next door neighbours and anyone living in the street.
And your mum "adopted" every kid in the street
you could be missing all day , and noone was worried.
miles away from anywhere and thirsty , the nearest puddle would quench our thirst ( or is that just me :oops: ).
the local sweet shop would sell a bag (more like a sack :D ) of broken sweet ciggies that last you a week for 2p.
tarzan swings, and death defying leaps of faith from the end of that flimsy rope :shock:
WOW , wouldnt change my childhood for the world :D

A Big Thankyou to DomValente, and all the others for bringing my childhood rushing back......
when everybodies door was always open and a simple knock and in they`d stroll" its me!" from the next door neighbours and anyone living in the street.
And your mum "adopted" every kid in the street
you could be missing all day , and noone was worried.
miles away from anywhere and thirsty , the nearest puddle would quench our thirst ( or is that just me :oops: ).
the local sweet shop would sell a bag (more like a sack :D ) of broken sweet ciggies that last you a week for 2p.
tarzan swings, and death defying leaps of faith from the end of that flimsy rope :shock:
WOW , wouldnt change my childhood for the world :D

yep seconded, although I would nopt wish those days on any kid today, I reckon that anyone over 35 and under 90 had the best childhood ever.
Why you may ask, well we and I say this in general - were NOT molly coddled, were allowed to play outside in the street or graveyard ( as in my case :oops: )dug holes in places where you'd never let your kids or grand kids dig, swim in water that was iffy, but still better then bath water lol !
Flying on BEA between a very small Heathrow airport and Shannon for my summer hols back in the "home"country, riding pigs ,bulls and the occasional horse.Falling into cow manure, chasing chickens all over the place, etc.................

Again many thanks to Dom for bringing back some of my childhood memories.

Ps. The VIctor was the best in my day, Dandy and Beano was for girls :wink:

Not just for the over 50S ! Im 32 and i remember all that :D Maybe i was the last generation of real life ?
Thanks for the post you've reminded me of some very funny times :lol:

When I was a lad
oldman.gif

Other memories too, proper tree houses (6 inch nails and a borrowed hammer). A lenght of string and 2 baked bean cans for a quick chat.
Falling madly in love with my primary school teacher (Amanda Burton's sister). Needing an opener (never knew their proper names) to, well, open a can of coke (two holes so the stuff would come out).
2d lucky bags. Penny chews. Rubber bullets (used to find them on a saturday afternoon in town, still got one somewhere). Having complete strangers call at the house for a glass of water (can you imagine that happening now?) Trimphones (real modern telephones!). Colour TV (the first one belonged to a friend, must've been about '68 or so, brand was Telefunken I think). The dog on Bluepeter called Petra. 8 track stereos. My mother taking us blackberry picking along the road and coming back covered in a dark red mess. Collecting frogspawn in jamjars. Keeping caterpillars in matchboxes. My father doing 100 mph in his Rover 2000TC.
Walking home from school with a big square leather satchel. Peanut butter sandwiches (Sun Pat?).
I'll not go on, drowning in nostalgia.

Noel

I'm just back from a period of isolation my meditation chamber in the Mournes.....tent.....and I'm catching up, WOW! has this thread got lively! Noel: "Rosses"? what about the "Braid Lorry"? And, just to put me out of my misery, WHERE in the name of Mary, Jesus and the wee donkey did 'yer da' get room on the under-nourished, narrow roads of the County Derry of our youth to run a Rover Bathtub at 100mph?

PS Waiting at the Newsagents for the delivery van with the "Saturday Night"?

PPS Enfield Motorbikes

Back