I Remember,I Remember..........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
FOR THE OVER 50’S WHO ARE PIS*ED OFF I HOPE THIS WILL MAKE YOU SMILE

Just for a minute forget everything stressful in life and read on………………..

Let your mind drift back in time, before the Internet, computers and Apple Mac’s. Before semi-automatics, Subaru’s, joy riding and crack cocaine even before SEGA or Super Nintendo. We are talking way back!
To a time of hide and seek in the park
The corner shop
Hopscotch
Skipping
Handstands
Football with an old tin can
Finger bobs
The Beano, Dandy, Buster, and Dennis the menace
Rolly Poly
Hula Hoops (Not the one’s you eat)
The smell of sun on fresh cut grass
Bazooka Joe bubble gum
Watching Sunday Morning cartoons…..Short commercials, the Double Decker’s, Road Runner, He Man, The Magic Roundabout, The Wacky Races, Popeye, Swapshop and Why Don’t You and being allowed to stay up to watch Doctor Who.
When around the corner seemed far away and going to town felt like you were going somewhere.
When nobody owned their own house and being on the property ladder meant you had built a den or tree house.
Your street was the best adventure playground in the world.
Earwigs, Wasps, Stinging Nettles and Bee stings.
Sticky Fingers, Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, Zorro and Climbing Trees.
Walking to school no matter what the Weather.
Running till you were out of breath and getting the stitch, Laughing so hard that your belly hurt.
Jumping on a bed, Pillow Fights, Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was a cause for giggles and being tired from playing…….. Starting to remember?

The Worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
Water Balloons were an ultimate weapon of war.
Playing cards in the spokes of your bike transforming it into a Motorcycle.
Choppers and Grifters
Eating Raw Jelly
Orange squash ice pops
And We’re not finished yet!

Remember when there was two types of Trainers………Girls and Boys…And Dunlop green was flash and the only time you could wear them was in PE at School.
You knew everybody in your street and so did your parents.
It wasn’t odd to have Three best friends.
You slept a wink on Christmas eve.
When nobody owned a pure bred dog.
When 25p was very very good pocket money.
When you would reach into a muddy gutter for a dropped penny.
When everybody’s mum was at home when the kids returned from school.
When it was a real treat to go out to dinner at a real restaurant.
You only when to the cinema once in a blue moon.
When a parent could discipline a kid, or feed them, or use them to carry shopping and nobody, not even the kid thought a thing of it.
When being sent to the heads office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited you when you got home.

Basically we were in fear for our lives but it had nothing to do with Drive-by-shootings, Drugs, or Gangs.
Your parents were a much bigger threat! And some of us are still afraid of them!!

Remember When……….

All-important decisions were made doing “IP DIP DOG SH*T”
Race issues were about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in Monopoly.
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs, and the worst part of the day was to have to sit by one.
It was unbelievable that British Bulldogs was not an Olympic event.
Having a weapon in school was to be caught with your catapult.
Nobody was prettier than your Mum.
Scrapes and Bruises were kissed and instantly better.
Drug taking meant Orange flavour chewable Aspirin.
Ice cream was a basic food group and not the devil.
A foot of snow was a dream come true.
Older siblings were your worst tormentor but also your fiercest defenders.

If you can remember these things then you have LIVED
And all you can do is feel sorry for the poor saps that grow up these days……

STILL FEELING PIS*ED OFF? BET YOUR SMILING

The smell of tar on newly laid roads and the smell of creosote on new fencing, the smell of fresh bread on baking day, summers that lasted for the six weeks holiday without rain.Ah the memories-you're right Dom I do feel better.

The sense of vastness and possibility - and the smell - on a windy, high summer day at the beach... That amazing 'aliveness' it had, as you ran yourself into stupefied, sand coated, sticky exhaustion...

Melting lead with dad (and ruining mum's saucepans...) to pour into the mould for your lead soldiers...

Jaco roller skates and suddenly I'm 12 years old flying down the hill at a million miles an hour not knowing if a tiny stone is going to trip me up.

Climbing trees

Or when I was younger playing in bomb sites and actually being clipped by a policeman.

making models ( airfix,taimya and the like ) with polysterene cement glue. You know, the one with the fruit drop smell. Eating the dried glue off one's fingers. Instead of sticking it in one's nose to get high :shock:
Sherbert fountains were considered a Saterday treat if one was good for the week :)

Boy, wthey were the good ol'days, but then life now without a mobile and
the internet ??? :? nah, sorry I'll take today, but I will forever remember my childhood days with fondness.

All the best people in what ever time frame your in .

The Hotspur; more stories, less pictures - lasted longer.

The coming of BBC2 - on 625 lines!

Decimalisation - where did all the 'rounded up' pennies go?

Kent wafers

Plastic 'Beatle' wigs.

Buses with engines at the front, the driver walled up in his little cab and a Conductor with that abacus/windy - handle ticket dispenser and a leather bag for ha'pennies, thrupences (12-sided) and sixpenny bits.

Half crowns and 10 bob notes.

Crisps that had bags of salt in the bag - which wasn't foil.

Masking your own fun; bows n' arras, forts, french arras, endless football, cricket, climbing trees, tree houses - modern parents would have conniptions at what we useed to calmly clamber up to and then sit in.

Barley sugar twists.

Lifebuoy soap.

Players and Gallaghers packets of five and ten

Signed. a child of the Sixties.

Plastic beatles wigs-now that brings it all back-I was Paul McCartney in school variety show with my wig :lol: :oops: :shock: :roll:

Shopping with Mum at the Co-op (remember the "divvi"), or at Liptons, where they had marble counters. Taking the accumulator to be recharged to the man who also dealt in scrap metal. Collecting bottles to get a penny back on them. Replacing the mantle on the gas lights. The first ball-point pen. Seeing my Dad at his place of work and being called "my nipper." Tokens for the milkman. The smell of the public library - all those books! Chicken as an annual treat at Christmas. Tinned cream. Sugar sandwiches. San Izal toilet paper - didn't so much wipe as re-distribute! Hiring a rowing boat on the local boating lake. Fishing for sticklebacks with a little net. Going into Murphys - the sort of hardware shop in the Two Ronnies "Four Candles/Fork Handles" sketch. School desk inkwells that were actually full of ink. Bakelite. First taste of marzipan - wow!

A child of the fifties.

Ray.

Crisps that had bags of salt in the bag - which wasn't foil.

Yes!! God - the thrill of being bought a packet of crisps, and shaking the little blue packet of salt in... :D

Balsa aeromodelling - the smell of dope as you doped the wings... Oooh - playing with mercury in science at school... (that one just freaks my sons out - 'you mean you were allowed to TOUCH mercury, dad??!!')

Deary me... Well I suppose it beats you all being grumpy instead. :lol:

The thing is I can remember quite a lot of this stuff, and I'm still a reasonable way away from five-oh. I think. In years anyway, even if not in outlook...

Cheers, Alf

Argee":azxvf91z said:
Shopping with Mum at the Co-op (remember the "divvi"),
Ray.

Blimey, I can still remember my Mum's "divvi" number, and how she used to push me out with a bucket and spade to collect the droppings from the greengrocer's horse to put on the roses :oops: :oops:

Ah, those were the days :wink:

Paul

I was in Africa at the time - no TV but we had "Movietone" at the cinema and when the Queen was shown we all had to stand up else mother would clip other ears.

41,and I remember virtually all of the above :lol:

I have had conversations with my son that generally start with "When I was your age,I was never in the house - and I used to cycle everywhere !"

And they invariably end with him saying "Did they have computers,playstations and mobile phones then,dad?"

One nil to him again.. :cry:

Andrew

It's hardly surprising that kids don't know much about science these days if they can't actually touch mercury :wink:

Losos":1hevex6a said:
It's hardly surprising that kids don't know much about science these days if they can't actually touch mercury :wink:

Sadly,they are not allowed to do much of anything - can't use chisels as "they are sharp",not allowed to use a forge as "it is hot"
Plastics seem to have taken over as the "craft of choice" at schools now - anything fun seems to be classed as potentially dangerous :?

Andrew (puzzled as to how children will ever learn anything)

Saturday morning's at the picture's(cowboy's and indian's),sneaking in the exit door's if you were skint.The day's when pop was a drink only. :lol:

Hey Sammy, I remember the Tayto bags with the salt wrapped in blue paper. Remember Ross's white lemonade and brown lemonade? The lemonade lorry that called at the house every week? Yes, barley twists and UTA buses with the conductor. Weren't the buses a pukey green?
And going to the shop for a slider or a poke? A bag of raspberry ruffles on a saturday night when you just might be allowed to stay up for "The Saturday Night Thriller" And standing, arms stretched out, before you could go into the town centre with your mother on a Saturday afternoon.
Or going up to Ballycastle for the Lamas Fair and eating all the funny seaweed stuff.

Noel, who ain't that old but has a good memory...

Noel, I'm from Ballymena - all that sounds very familiar! Also the bread van, grocery van, coal lorry, the saturday fry-up, sunday outing to the Antrim coast, Tayto cheese'n'onion - and yes, dulse, which I still love!

Drew

The Eagle. Dan Dare and the Mekon
Walking as quickly as you could, on the way back from school, to be able to turn the corner before the train came and you were zapped with the stun gun.
Playing Coastguards and Pirates in the gym (probably not allowed now as too dangerous)
William Hartnell.
Staying up all night to watch Neil Armstrong land on the moon.
The Xray machine when you went for a pair of Clarkes shoes

The Xray machine when you went for a pair of Clarkes shoes

Good God - yes: was it really an X-ray machine???? Boy, that one shows you how attitudes change...

Latest posts

Back