I recommend Dowelling Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marck120

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, greetings to all.
I live in Italy, unfortunately I don't speak English, I have to build and assemble a small cabinet:

8ce12e1352179717.jpg

The panels are 18 mm thick, so I decided to use 8 mm wooden dowels, I am looking for a template that does not cost too much, the dowelmax and jessem jigs are the best but they cost too much, is there any alternative? which jig do you recommend ?

Hi

A piece of hardwood with holes drilled in it can be used, just nail it on to the panel and drill the holes. It won't last forever but it's is cheap.

Pete

Hi

A piece of hardwood with holes drilled in it can be used, just nail it on to the panel and drill the holes. It won't last forever but it's is cheap.

Pete

Hi, thank you for answering me

I prefer a ready-made jig, something precise that lasts me over time, I was thinking of the Wolfcraft 4650000 guide, but from the reviews I read it doesn't seem very precise, it is built with different plastic parts, it doesn't seem like a quality template, I looked also this template: 3 In 1 Aluminum Alloy 3/8 Inch Self Centering Doweling Jig 19-100mm Clamping Punch Locator Drill Guide Woodworking Joint Tool Tool Accessories from Tools on banggood.com , it looks like a dowelmax clone to me, do you have any other jig to recommend ?

Buongiorno,

or you can use screws that are below the surface and cover with wooden plugs of the same wood.....
shopping.png

these plug cutters are only a few Euros...eBay, Bangood etc but if I know Italy they will be available easily.....
you will still need screws to hold the cabinet together....
hope this helps....
in bocca al lupo......Sono inglese e ho lavorato per la Lancia a Torino .

Buongiorno,

or you can use screws that are below the surface and cover with wooden plugs of the same wood.....View attachment 91380
these plug cutters are only a few Euros...eBay, Bangood etc but if I know Italy they will be available easily.....
you will still need screws to hold the cabinet together....
hope this helps....
in bocca al lupo......Sono inglese e ho lavorato per la Lancia a Torino .
Does the job and cheap.

Hi, thanks for the advice.

It can be a good solution, I've seen how it works:

I did a similar job, I made the head of the screw enter the wood, then with the sawdust of the wood and the glue I made the putty and covered the screw.

To be precise, I live in Sardinia

What do you think of a jig like this ?

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power...remium-aluminium-dowel-jig-kit-rutlands+r6004

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power...el-jigs-premium-10mm-dowel-jig-rutlands+r6012

Thank you

Maybe the 10mm holes are too big on an 18mm thick panel, the problem is that this jig does not have a guide, maybe if I have to drill the distant holes it becomes difficult, on the website it says that the article is no longer available.

I have the wolfcraft jig. Its very easy to use. There are lots of you tube videos on how to use it.
http://www.wolfcraft.com/en/products/p/dowel_jointers/1_universal_dowelling_set/s/p/index.html

Thank you

I knew this kit, I saw the discussion on an Italian forum, who used it had several problems, it is also for sale on amazon, there are also several negative reviews there, there is also this model: 1 dowelling jig

I bought one of those ( or a clone) a couple of months ago. It probably would have worked better if my materials had all been square and true, but using PAR from the local hardware store it was a pain.I reckon I would have been better off using pocket hole screws.

[QUOTE = "Droogs, post: 1380883, membro: 16554"]
Per molti anni ci sono riuscito con uno di questi

[URL unfurl = "true"] https://www.amazon.it/Wolfcraft-4645000-Valigetta-Tasselli-Universali/dp/B0001P19Q8/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽ % C3% 95% C3% 91 & dchild = 1 & keywords = Wolfcraft-4640000-Dowel-Master-dowel% 2F & qid = 1599047895 & sr = 8-2 [/ URL]
[/CITAZIONE]

Thank you, I knew the Wolfcraft 4640000, they are almost identical, in reality I was looking for a slightly more professional jig, without exaggerating the price of course, if you have any advice about it let me know.

I bought one of those ( or a clone) a couple of months ago. It probably would have worked better if my materials had all been square and true, but using PAR from the local hardware store it was a pain.I reckon I would have been better off using pocket hole screws.

Which model did you buy exactly ?

Finding a jig that works well is a problem, with pocket holes or lamellas the work is easier, with wooden pins it takes a lot of precision. What are PAR ?

PAR means planed all round. It is a way to buy wood that has already been prepared by the sawmill to have 90 degree corners and smooth and level sides

A clone of the Wolfcraft Droogs linked to.
PAR = planed all round. Pre-prepared timber.
PAR means planed all round. It is a way to buy wood that has already been prepared by the sawmill to have 90 degree corners and smooth and level sides

Perfect thank you very much

What do you think of these ? They say the Joint-Genie is very precise, but in my case I don't know if it's okay, it seems to me more suitable for short boards, on long panels the Joint-Genie is perhaps not suitable.

https://www.amazon.it/Joint-Genie-S...1&refRID=7NWSHRC9HQPWKHPYDHFJ#customerReviews
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/4000...9RoYiYihm5pQaxrwL8MaAqIaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have found the Wolfcraft jig to be the best for speed of working and as good as any other for accuracy. It is also the easiest to use in my opinion for not only corner joints but especially for T joints in the middle of a shelf

hope that helps

I have found the Wolfcraft jig to be the best for speed of working and as good as any other for accuracy. It is also the easiest to use in my opinion for not only corner joints but especially for T joints in the middle of a shelf

hope that helps

Thank you very much for the advice

Yes, you told me you have the Wolfcraft 4645000 model, of course, before drilling the cabinet you have to practice on old boards, I'm interested in L-shaped joints, I've seen some tutorials:

I have used dowels with a wolf jig and also without any jigs, my advice would be to start with the wolf jig, and you will soon learn what is working for you and what isn't, and then you can decide if you will make or buy another jig.

so, start simple, with the wolf jig, and then practice and learn it before deciding what to do next. Hope that helps :)

I have used dowels with a wolf jig and also without any jigs, my advice would be to start with the wolf jig, and you will soon learn what is working for you and what isn't, and then you can decide if you will make or buy another jig.

so, start simple, with the wolf jig, and then practice and learn it before deciding what to do next. Hope that helps :)

Thank you for the advice

Before drilling the cabinet I will do many tests on scrap boards to get carried away with the jig, yes the Wolfcraft jig is widely used, I hope it is accurate otherwise it is useless, even if my intention was to take a quality tool.

I have also used a cheap plastic jig like that Wolfcraft one. It was orange not black and probably bought in the 90s.
Perfectly fine for a simple chipboard cabinet.

For solid wood there's a Robert Wearing design for a horizontal drilling jig you can make if you have a wood lathe and a Jacobs chuck. You build a box around the bed and fit an adjustable fence and stops. More here

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/horizontal-drilling.99144
I found it useful for simple frame and panel doors.

I have also used a cheap plastic jig like that Wolfcraft one. It was orange not black and probably bought in the 90s.
Perfectly fine for a simple chipboard cabinet.

For solid wood there's a Robert Wearing design for a horizontal drilling jig you can make if you have a wood lathe and a Jacobs chuck. You build a box around the bed and fit an adjustable fence and stops. More here

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/horizontal-drilling.99144
I found it useful for simple frame and panel doors.

Thank you for the explanations

I will also try the Wolfcraft jig, the two plastic models are the 4645000 and the 4640000, the aluminum models are the 3750000 and the 4650000. Unfortunately I don't have a lathe to build the drilling box you showed me.

Back