I-Pad dropping connection. Any I-Pad experts out there?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have my Router upstairs in the front bedroom and a wi-fi extender socket in the back kitchen so I can get internet in the shed. My I-Pad has been working great but a couple of days ago it started to loose the wi-fi signal.
If I go to the back of the house it will connect, then when I go to the front it will drop connection. If I go to settings, wifi, my BTHub5 shows with the padlock and 3 bar strength signal in the choose network section then tries to connect but doesn't. Then If I go to the back of the house and try it connects then works until I go back to the front where some times it will work for a few minutes or a few seconds.

When it goes off it still has my BTHub in the wi-fi box but the little buffer ring keeps spinning and if I click info it has my IP Address numbers, Subnet Mask numbers, and DNS numbers but the Router section has nothing there :? (btw I have no idea what all these numbers mean anyway.)

My smart tv, skybox and wifes tablet are all connecting fine with no problems it's only my I-Pad.
Is it possible my old I-pad is packing up?

Watching with interest - my daughter's iphone does a similar thing. The very odd thing is that it's not an issue at her mum's house, yet other phones work well in any room in my house. Have you tried yours on a different router?

I use an iPad and a BT router, whenever anything gets into a strop or on a go slow the iPad gets turned off and on (not sent to sleep) and the router rebooted. Invariably this fixes things but don’t ask for any technical explanation.

I did try turning i-Pad off and on but not the router, I'll give that a go tomorrow.

I have an older iPad (4) and Sky Router, but need a TV-Link for the lounge TV as the router signal is weaker and did drop out in the opposite corner of our detached house. As such, when I have my iPad near the router, it's fine, but I need to actually switch the connection in the iPad when in the other part of the house, as it will not switch itself, so I move it in the iPad to the TV-Link signal.

Once moved to the TV-Link , it stays but as I return to the router area it switched itself. Therefore, the main Sky signal needs changing as it will not just move to the other signal on it's own.

Shaggy":2j3npbjl said:
I did try turning i-Pad off and on but not the router, I'll give that a go tomorrow.
Did you do a proper reset or just power off/on?

I find that a reset (power and home buttons together for a few seconds if you don’t know) sorts out a wide range of issues.

I had something similar with a phone and a few iPads. My router has both the 2GHz and 5GHz wifi bands. I suspect most routers do.

As per instructions somewhere to make life easier, I set the SSID on both bands to be the same. Laptops etc have no issue, as if it has an AC (not voltage - LOL) wireless card it goes onto the 5GHz wifi and other devices with B, G or N wireless cards\circuitry go onto the 2GHz band.

Well that's the theory and the laptops have no issue.

But - the bloomin phone and iPads started to have the problem - they wouldn't connect or connected for like nano seconds. It did my tree in.

After much Googling and pulling hair out - I stumbled on a fix.

Fix - most routers allow you to create virtual SSID's or additional SSID's. Sometimes they might refer to them as Guest SSID's. So I created another one on the 2GHz band - naming in wireless2, the original one (one both bands) is wireless1. Worked a treat! The troublesome phone connects and so do the iPads.

If you want a quick test - go into your routers config page and turn the 5GHz band off. If the iPads now connect, you can either leave the 5GHz off or check to see if the SSID is the same for both. Either make them different, or leave them the same and create an additional SSID on the 2GHz band.

HIH

Dibs

Shaggy

Just had a proper read of your original post - LOL.

It is the 2Ghz and 5GHz issue.

2GHz goes further which is why you get that at the back of the house and the iPad behaves. 5GHz is stronger but doesn't go as far. So when you move to the front of the house - the iPad tries to reconnect to the stronger signal & has a brainfart.

So set up an additional SSID on the 2GHz band, naming it obviously different, and only connect to that on the iPad and\or devices that becomes\are troublesome on the original SSID.

Cheers

Dibs

stuartpaul":1z8sug7a said:
Did you do a proper reset or just power off/on?

I find that a reset (power and home buttons together for a few seconds if you don’t know) sorts out a wide range of issues.
I didn't know about the reset with the two buttons pressed together so just a power off/on.
When I got in from work I did another power off/on along with a router reboot and at the moment it seems to be working. It's working in the router bedroom, living room and the back of the house so far so good.

Thanks for that technical reply Dibs-h, but sorry it may as well have been in Chinese, I didn't understand a word of it :? :p . It sounds too complicated for me to try and do, I really am a caveman when it comes to this sort of thing (hammer). If the simple solution that I've tried fails again I'll get my more tech savvy son to have a read of your solution and try that.

Well my "simple solution" lasted a couple of hours then turned rat rubbish again and then the smart tv in the back room turned dumb and refused to connect :evil: .

So I showed my tech savvy son the solution suggested by Dibs-h and he understood what he was saying. He then separated the 5Ghz and the 2Ghz signals and now the TV has reconnected and the I-pad is working :D :D .

Cheers Dibs-h =D>

Back