I need some good quality, noise blocking hifi earpieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I like to listen to music when I'm in the workshop (about 8-10hrs a day). Usually I use a Sony discman with the litle earpiece thingys in my ears. Then, when I am operating a noisy machine, I put my ear defenders on over the earpieces. Sometimes this can be uncomfortable, but when the machine (and therefore the ear defenders) isn't going to be on very long it isn't worth fiddling with the earpieces and cables to get everything just right.
What I really need is a good quality set of earpieces that would fit well enough to block out loud noises on there own, a bit like earplugs with little speakers in them.
Anyone know where I could buy such a thing? I see the performers at Glastonbury all use them for foldback, so I know they exist
John

John - I have read good things about the Bose earpieces that have been heavily advertised recently (sorry, don't know the model number). They are apparently excellent for excluding external noise, eg when travelling by plane, as well as good listening devices. Don't know if they do both at the same time, tho'! - and, being Bose, they will cost.

Roy

John have you tried a motorcycle shop as i used to have some headphones for a motorcycle intercom ,they were like velcro backed cloth with headphones inside. If memory served me right the demo set were placed in ear defenders . Just a thought :)

tx2man":rcvs5y24 said:

Any good? Any good? These are exactly what I am looking for.
Thanks

Edited to say that now I have seen the price I might have to save a couple of weeks pocket money before I can indulge myself!

Also thanks for to the other guys for their suggestions

John

sony do a set of bud-style noise cancelling earpieces - I paid about USD90 from amazon US but they were almost double that from the UK site - if you have any friends over there that can take delivery and post them on it can save a bit. However....

The sonys are OK on the tube and on planes where the sound is mostly bass, but in a workshop environment with higher pitched noises they may be less effective....might be worth buying retail in the UK where you can take them back if you are disappointed with the results.

When I researched the subject there is a whole range of over the ear closed noise cancelling headphones, and one of the panasonic variants got very good reviews....I avoided them as they are too bulky to use in public (or you look like a gimp on the underground) but they may be a better bet in place of the normal ear defenders instead of under them.....

m

Back