I need one of these vices.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's pretty cool, I wonder what it was used for though? It looks like a vice designed for a milling machine, but it has no repeatability so would only be suitable for one off jobs I guess, seems odd.

Yeah that's pretty cool, I wonder what it was used for though? It looks like a vice designed for a milling machine, but it has no repeatability so would only be suitable for one off jobs I guess, seems odd.
Its a carving vice.

I was looking at it a bit and I think it could have been used with some repeatability. With a touch of grease in the jaws, once set around an object they would stay when it was removed. Ready for the next. Maybe accurate enough for small castings etc.

Pete

He's been talking about it on his Instagram for ages. Seriously cool piece. I think Pete is right - it's more for one off castings that are hard to hold than production work. I guess in the time frame it's from there was a lot more cast work than the machine from billet nowadays. If you search for fractal vise there is a guy making a modern equivalent - more for carving and engraving than machining. He wants a $150 deposit just to get your name down for one though. With the publicity Eric has generated with the restoration of his I'm sure he'll sell plenty.

Back