I need a new Drill/Driver....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, My 18v B&D has died a horrible death. The battery had been playing up and on Sat when I tried to use it the trigger had oddly seized up. Managed to get the trigger loose but it won't spark into life at all.

So, I am looking for a cordless drill driver. The B&D drill had served me well for the past 5-6yrs. It was a great all rounder, from DIY to more beefy jobs like drilling through walls. I would love something of the same caliber. This year I will be installing decking, so I need something with good battery life and quick charge. I have had a quick look around, lots of drill/drivers seem to have the label 'impact' now. What does impact mean? In terms of budget I would be prepared to spend up to £200 if I can get a good all-rounder. Is this budget realistic? Can anyone recommend a drill/driver?

Also is there such thing as a corded drill/driver these days? Wouldn't mind a cheap one for backup.

Thanks

Panasonic EY 6932. 15.6V, 3.5AH NiMH x 2 Batteries.

I've often used a Bosch 750W corded for heavy screwing and with a bit of care it does a great job.

Noel

WiZeR

IMHO this is one situation where paying top whack prices isn't worth it. I've used the 24v Ferm from Screwfix (around £50 last time I looked) and it's always worked well.

Battery life seems pretty good.

To be honest, I have two. One is used as a drill and the other as a screwdriver. At that price the overall increase in speed of working by not continually changing bits is well worth it.

Roger

Roger Sinden":3e16sg0w said:
WiZeR

IMHO this is one situation where paying top whack prices isn't worth it. I've used the 24v Ferm from Screwfix (around £50 last time I looked) and it's always worked well.

Battery life seems pretty good.

To be honest, I have two. One is used as a drill and the other as a screwdriver. At that price the overall increase in speed of working by not continually changing bits is well worth it.

Roger

I completely disagree - I had one of these and thought it was c**p. Little torque - less than my Metabo 9.6v driver, despite the 24v and the batteries didn't last long. I returned it and spent an extra £20 to get one of these, which is much better although still less torque and battery life than the Metabo.

Axminster also have offers such as this Makita at the moment.

I wish I'd spent out on the Panasonic when they were on offer with a free shaver a while ago at Ridgeons as I've had to buy one of those as well!

As always it's worth paying for quality.

Pete

I think I am going to order the Makita: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=364312

Seems like a good all-rounder. 3 Batteries is prolly over kill but the 30min charging time is an advantage and the bit set is an bonus. The Panasonic seems overkill for mainly DIY.

Anyone object? Are Makita generally ok?

Beware of very fast charging times, unless the battery is fan cooled by the charger. It's the heat that messes up batteries, and quicker charging means more heat

I understand from those that do a lot of screw driving of the fairly heavy variety, that an impact driver is the way to go

John

The Pansonics are vented and the charger will not charge when the batteries are warm.

Noel

Wizer
For mostly DIY you won't be disapointed with the Makita. I have that one and it is a large step up from the "DIY Shed" varieties I had before.

for work we use 2 of the 8 series 12v makita's, a smaller one which was free with the 8 series, a torch, angle driver, and an autofeed screwdriver gun, because they all use the same batteries, we are never short of batteries!! they are fantastic pieces of kit, and have never let us down once. very very good lasting batteries with 2.6ah
the impact on the 8 series drills are very good, we have had no problem so far, but generally we use a 24v bosch for the job

HTH

Matt

Hi WiZer

Might be a bit late, but the only advice I would give you about Makita is that they change their battery fittings quite often. This becomes a problem as you buy more kit.

I went for DW as they use a standard battery fitting.

Cheers
Neil

I have had a 12v Makita for a few years now, and I have found it to be a very good drill (works well and is very well balanced). However, when I have seen them in local stores, they have tended to be more pricey than some of the other brands - I haven't compared online prices of drills for quite a while though, so that price difference may not apply with other sources.

A review of drills that I read a few months back rated the Panasonic (14v or 15v, I think) as the best of the lot. I think it was able to drive many many more screws than the others on test (helped by the beefier battery, no doubt). If I were buying another drill now, I would look at the Panasonic (not sure of its price though, so the Makita may be better value).

You won't have a prob with the makita.....all the power tools i use for work are makita and i swear by them.
I find them much better than their dewalt counterparts.....and cheaper too.

If your going to do a deck involving alot of screws and are willing to spend £200 then you might want to consider their new 18v drill driver
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... 0&recno=12
i've got two for work and can't fault them.
They maybe a bit over the top for diy but with your up comming decking project their just the job....and you shouldn't have to buy another one for quite some time :D

The Makita arrived today. First impressions are that the drill seems tiny compared to my old B&D. 30mins charge is true to it's word. Not tried screwing or drilling anyhting yet. Only tiny grip is that the drill rattles around in the supplied case, bit of an annoyance, but nothing major.

Thats why man invented double sided tape and foam :lol: . I have a lot of makita kit and find now they use the same kit box for a range (ie 12v , 14v &18) rather than for the individual drills or drivers of yester year. My only gripe is i cant seem to find a kit box for my laminate trimmer so i have had to adapt a small grinder box. I found the 18v maks to be better balanced than the dewally ,Top kit if you ask me.

Latest posts

Back