I need a good strimmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Any recommendations for a robust, electrically powered strimmer please? I need to deal with two-foot long grass. My Son won't use the one I've had in my shed for yonks, plus the fact it wasn't much cop to begin with.

Thanks in anticipation.
:D

Doug B":s1zfu27u said:
Sparkbrook John........................Oh you said strimmer :-" :lol: :lol:

There's one of those living about six doors up the street Doug. She's retired though!
Like Me!

Oh well much as it pains me to go retro, I'll get Number One Son a sickle. Or maybe a goat or two? :lol:

I got the wife a cheap Flymo one from B&Q for her birthday.
It`s mains powered & fairly light & as she`s not grumbled about it (like the petrol mower which she struggles to start) I figured she must be pleased with it.
Unless you`ve got lots of strimming to do away from a power source, I`d just get an inexpensive mains powered branded one.

Cheers.

Hi John,

Ours is a B&D 25cmGL340 - though I doubt they make them now as I see the date 1999 on it. Just goes to show it's good though as we use it quite a bit and it's still going strong.

What I like the most about it is its trouble free 'automatic' feed - you give it a wizz and tap the spool on the ground and it pays out a bit more, cutting any excess on a blade at the side.

Other than that I have a good scythe he can borrow...

Richard T":2pcy3phl said:
What I like the most about it is its trouble free 'automatic' feed - you give it a wizz and tap the spool on the ground and it pays out a bit more, cutting any excess on a blade at the side.

Just don't assume that all automatic feeds are going to be useful; my previous strimmer supposedly had this feature, but all it ever accomplished was detaching the cartridge and leaving it in the grass!

We had the same problem (thanks to about six or seven months of rain after moving house) and went for the same option Doug suggests; a not-incredibly-cheap-but-not-expensive Bosch, which has worked pretty well and coped perfectly well with the lengthy grass. Unfortunately it was still pretty wet underneath the grass, though, so we had to carefully strim in strips without walking on the cuttings before raking them up, and it was pretty exhausting work, tired my back out no end. Probably didn't help that unless you want to cough up three figures for a Stihl or whatever, all the strimmers on the market seem to be made for midgets. :/

Richard T":20ca5hm6 said:
Hi John,

Ours is a B&D 25cmGL340 - though I doubt they make them now as I see the date 1999 on it. Just goes to show it's good though as we use it quite a bit and it's still going strong.

Other than that I have a good scythe he can borrow...

Hi Richard.

That's a good idea; except it's one of those awkward sized lawns. Too big for hand cutting. Too small to swing a scythe! And, by the time he learns how, the grass would have grown another four inches!

Cheers :D

Back