I need a good quality electric nail gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
It might need to shoot nails up to 35mm long into birch plywood. I know I can buy a Rapesco for around £50-60, but would be happy to pay more for a presumed higher quality and performance.
I need it for nailing on the ocassional bit of trim, and if it doesn't completely sink the nail then that will be a bad thing because it can be quite difficult to remove or punch home protruding nail-gun nails. I already have an air powered set up but I need something for the van

John

I recommend you avoid the Rapesco. It gave me much grief.
Any advantage I had in terms of portability were quickly ruined by spending so much time unblocking nail jams.
I now use an air powered system (Bostitch) which is portable enough for the van and site work. Their finish nailer is excellent with fine adjustment on nail setting that actually works on hard and soft wood.
I've never seen a decent electric nailer. If you really don't want to move a compressor around, the Paslode finish nailer is good.

Bostitch 1850BN, no contest.

Rgds

Noel

If you've already got an air gun - why waste time with an electric one?

As with most other people, i've been there and done that with the rapesco - its really no good.

The gas powered Paslode's are excellent. Bit klunky however....

Hmm, I've used the Paslode to fire many thousands of brads and it's never jammed once, nor had any problems. It's disadvantage is its weight I guess. The portability of it being cordless is superb.

Adam

sawdustalley":3mlzl459 said:
If you've already got an air gun - why waste time with an electric one?

As I said earlier, I need something for the van. I don't want to have to store in the van and carry into the customer's house a compressor and nail gun if I can find an electric nail gun that will do the job.
John

John

I have a brand new Paslode IM350 nailer (It's in Screwfix's new catalogue priced at £399.99). It's a couple of weeks old and unused with full guarantee. It was given me as a gift, but to be honest (It seems a bit churlish I know!) It's not something I'd use. If you were interested I could let you have it for a fair discount over new.

Chris

Chris":k5v3vjbi said:
John

I have a brand new Paslode IM350 nailer (It's in Screwfix's new catalogue priced at £399.99). It's a couple of weeks old and unused with full guarantee. It was given me as a gift, but to be honest (It seems a bit churlish I know!) It's not something I'd use. If you were interested I could let you have it for a fair discount over new.

Chris

Thanks for the offer, Chris, but the IM350 is a bit too big for what I need, the smallest nails it takes are 2.8mmx50mm. I expect it would go quickly on Ebay, and for a good price too

I've just about decided on the Maestri 18G panel pinner, I see Rutlands have them for £200

John

John
Let us know how you get on with that nailer if you ho for it. Rutlands sounds like they've had bitter experience of the Rapesco as well !!

I made the mistake of wasting my money on a Rapesco.
If I had wanted nails sticking out of the work to hang my hat on I would recommend a rapesco but for woodwork NEVER.
I could use stronger language to describe my thoughts on them but suffice it to say that I would use Andrex to clean Rapesco up.

Back