I must be doing something right!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well today I got the job for the entertainment unit and a deposit to boot. :D I asked the customer how he heard about me, as I usually do to see where most of my work is coming from. He told me one of his workmates had recommended me along with three other Cabinet makers which he contacted. One of them didn't turn up to give a quote after arranging a time, the other told him to visit them and wouldn't come out to see the job in hand and the third couldn't supply any samples of the paint colour/look. I arranged a time to visit him, turned up on time, seemed professional and also supplied a sample of the material paintwork. (His words, not mine) he also told me he had been impressed with my Website and some of the work I had done. I was buzzing I can tell you. :D Mind you if those are some my competition, I have no need to worry. :lol:

MickCheese":2wusch64 said:
...customer service is really important. Mick
Just a little quibble here (and no disparagement intended on the OP) - this is more 'pre-sales' service, 'customer' service is what happens after you've got your money and your buyer comes back to you with a problem...

WoodMangler":1lwnkixn said:
MickCheese":1lwnkixn said:
Just a little quibble here (and no disparagement intended on the OP) - this is more 'pre-sales' service, 'customer' service is what happens after you've got your money and your buyer comes back to you with a problem...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I will not argue with you as that is just pedantic. I assume you knew what I meant and your response was of no value to the original poster. :twisted:

It is responses such as that which stop people posting for fear of ridicule. In future maybe I should spend an age thinking up all permutations of what I am about to write incase some saddo decides they have nothing better to do than criticise.

Actually, I have better things to do so I will just carry on as before.

Mick

mailee":cz0wlmde said:
I arranged a time to visit him, turned up on time, seemed professional and also supplied a sample of the material paintwork. (His words, not mine) he also told me he had been impressed with my Website and some of the work I had done. I was buzzing I can tell you. :D Mind you if those are some my competition, I have no need to worry. :lol:

You don't fancy doing some timber building work in Aberdeenshire, do you???? We've been trying to get quotes for work on our house: one guy turned up to look at it but hasn't quoted, the others just didn't bother.

WoodMangler":1x32rslf said:
MickCheese":1x32rslf said:

No it ain't. Customer service is what happens before, during and after, be it a potential or existing customer.
Go into your local Tesco/Sainsburys etc and ask if they stock a particular product and you'll be sent to the customer service desk. Go in for an exchange/refund/complaint you'll be sent to the customer service desk.

Time and time again we come across comments about good service. It should be the norm! You have demonstrated just how beneficial it can be. Well done keep it up.

As an aside when I was fitting kitchens I once got a job purely because I rang to say I would be late for the first meeting.

xy

mailee":1kdyj8cl said:
Well today I got the job for the entertainment unit and a deposit to boot. :D I asked the customer how he heard about me, as I usually do to see where most of my work is coming from. He told me one of his workmates had recommended me along with three other Cabinet makers which he contacted. One of them didn't turn up to give a quote after arranging a time, the other told him to visit them and wouldn't come out to see the job in hand and the third couldn't supply any samples of the paint colour/look. I arranged a time to visit him, turned up on time, seemed professional and also supplied a sample of the material paintwork. (His words, not mine) he also told me he had been impressed with my Website and some of the work I had done. I was buzzing I can tell you. :D Mind you if those are some my competition, I have no need to worry. :lol:

Some people get over whelmed by the job in hand, some people just stand on the door step looking clueless... Just get stuck in there is all I can say.

mailee":hb7hfs3z said:
I arranged a time to visit him, turned up on time, seemed professional and also supplied a sample of the material paintwork.

It's not rocket science is it but I'm constantly amazed just how hard it is to get some suppliers to do even these simple things.

Pleased that it has worked for you and hope it leads to even more work :)

Good on you - hope the job's a profitable one!

It's always worth putting yourself in the customer's shoes, and asking, "What would impress me if I was the client?". Even little things like running round with a vacuum cleaner after fitting something makes a good impression. Not bothering to return telephone calls wouldn't. Basic courtesy and straightforward honesty go a long way. Why they are so uncommon is something of a puzzle.

Alan
Your a professional, turning out a professional product and portraying a professional image, you deserve all you get and some mate, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.
If only other people acted in the same way perhaps Britain would be great again.

Stew

Back