I might need a new lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need some advice please. My current lathe is an ageing Myford that I inherited from dear old Dad (circa 85?). Its great but the motor sits directly to the left of the headstock. This means that if I want to rotate to turn big stuff and bowls I need about 24" clearance behind the thing. To be honest I dont have the room and so I'm restricted to turning over the bed.

Can anyone suggest a decent lathe, variable speed, bi-directional with moveable headstock that takes up a little less space? I'm looking on line now but the choices are bewildering and I wondered if anyone could give me a few pointers?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips! I'll go do a bit of window shopping and let you know (as it is my 40th this year and I'm trying to convince the good woman to let me spend loads of money!!)

Mick

Duiker":2hjprvys said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips! I'll go do a bit of window shopping and let you know (as it is my 40th this year and I'm trying to convince the good woman to let me spend loads of money!!)

Mick

Good luck :whistle:

Duiker":1snt05gx said:
Hi Guys,

Mick

On Who !!!!

Make sure she knows it to be spent on YOU !!!!

:wink: :p

If you are short on space and can justify £1500 then it has to be the Nova DVR. The Vicmirc VL175SH could be an option, about the same price.

davol

Hi Mick, I've been pleased with my Nova DVR, most of my work is done within a foot (300mm) of the headstock so it suits me.

...if you're into long spindles there's the additional expense of a bed extension.

Back