I MAY have solved "the problem"!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did this some time ago with IEC C13 and C14 connectors (kettle connectors mentioned above)

More recently I have changed the IEC C13 connector for a locking type which prevents accidental pull out. I dont think i spent more than 2£ on a standard IEC connector, and about £4 on the locking type, so I have no idea where some of the high prices for IEC connectors quoted in this thread come from.

I have a dozen or more tools set up like this but only 3 cables. A long one, a short one and one permanently attached to the dust extraction hose. So only needed 3 locking connector sockets.

Now i accept that IEC C13 and C14 connectors are not rated for dusty and wet environments, but as a hobbiest using tools inside in a workshop they are more than adequate. After all your standard 13amp plug and wall socket are not dust or water proof either.

The only issues I have found were snagging which i mostly resolved by shortening the tail hanging from the tool and then cable tying the cable to the dust extraction hose. I use a velcro strap to hold the connector itself snuggly to the hose: easy yo put on and off. I even did this with my router which spends half its life in a table, because its way easier to connect the router this way than to feed the long cable out the back of the table every time.

One of the odd benefits is that since doing this I find requests to borrow my tools have gone down significantly. Mostly because people say "oh, you've put those odd connectors on... I don't have those"... i usually don't get the opportunity to say "well borrow the cable too then..."

Thanks to both Sideways and Brandlin for the above posts. LOTS of useful info for me to mull over, and perhaps to "think again" in some areas.

The high cost for the IEC connectors came from me Brandlin - I looked on someone's web site (Conrad I think, but maybe someone else, I forget now) and quickly gave up when I saw a 1 off cost of nearly 9 quid (equivalent) per plug. Perhaps I should look again.

But I think above all else, what's interested me most about all the replies to this thread is how so many people here agree with the basic principle that we've all (even "just" DIY-ers) been so poorly served by all the tool manufacturers and their "carpy" plastic integral cables (and so often, their feeble attempts at a "Euro-versal" plug for the wall too).

As I said, probably far too late now (because of batteries) but surely a tool makers opportunity for a USP has been missed here (though if any one company did do so and then the others followed suit, I bet a fiver to a pinch of sawdust that none would be compatible with each other)!!!!!!!

:D

AES

CN20447-40.jpg

locking iec c13 connector £3.07

CN20580-40.jpg

IEC C14 connector £1.19

THANKS a lot Brandlin, those prices are a BIT (!) more like it!

Probably slimmer overall than "my" Swiss connectors too.

AES

they are the cheapest... i'm not offering them up as aircraft quality. but they have served me well for a few years

OK Brandlin, I'm not expecting aircraft quality at that price (the Swiss ones I've used so far aren't either of course). :D Where did you find them please (I'll anyway Google tomorrow)?

Thanks.

AES

Problem? What problem? Coiling up a couple of metres of flex is now a problem?

I'd much rather suffer that "problem" than have a clunky connector near the handle of, say, my belt sander. The first few feet of cable in a belt sander take an almighty amount of hammering as they rub on the end of the workpiece, and having any sort of lump there would be a nuisance of major proportions. There's nothing about this idea that I can see improving anything in the real world, other than neatly displaying the tool on a shelf.

OK Mike G, it's a point of view (the only one to appear on this thread so far) but "it's a free country" and all that. BTW, as said in the OP, I don't "display my tools neatly on a shelf", I actually (try) to use the boxes/bags they came in and store them under the bench when not in use (space problems. But I do like neatness I admit, but if you're happy with "your way" and I'm happy with mine, that's great. A case where the use of a "Dislike" button would be valid perhaps? :D (But I do appreciate your "explanation", though personally I really DO find coiling those standard cables a PITA).

Sorry Brandlin, I really didn't notice that your part numbers were links (blue). Thanks for that, I'll dim my laptop display a little more - it had appeared a bit over bright with this new Forum software but I'll do it again.

AES

I dislike the dislike button. I'd rather explain why I disagree with someone. This is an internet discussion board, and by posting one presumes you accept that not everyone is going to agree with you. On the specifics of this idea, I see a solution seeking a problem, and in the process creating others.

OK MikeG, FWIW, I dislike the "Dislike" button idea too, and agree with you on that one at least (I was obliquely referring to posts on another Section where that point had just cropped up yesterday).

Thanks for posting your reasons, as you say, this Forum is for discussions, it's not "Farcebook (thank goodness!) and though I personally disagree with you about a solution looking for a problem, that's fine with me, as I said before "it's a free country" ;-)

AES

I have an old Kress SDS which has a removable cable, so Festool's not the only manufacturer to adopt the system.

Just a thought... if the cable strain relief was removed, the connector wired hard up the tool and secured in place with adhesive it would overcome the snagging issue.

Yes Mark, I was thinking along similar lines, especially since I've now seen the "kettle-type" IEC connectors at a reasonable price. Thanks for the Kress info (we don't seem to see Kress much here, new or old).

AES

MikeG.":3pbvl0ff said:
Problem? What problem? Coiling up a couple of metres of flex is now a problem?

I'd much rather suffer that "problem" than have a clunky connector near the handle of, say, my belt sander. The first few feet of cable in a belt sander take an almighty amount of hammering as they rub on the end of the workpiece, and having any sort of lump there would be a nuisance of major proportions. There's nothing about this idea that I can see improving anything in the real world, other than neatly displaying the tool on a shelf.

It's actually really quite nice, especially when you have several tools out at the same time. One lead, less clutter, less wires to trip over. The snagging thing is definately an issue, and as I said previously, I think the only way to go about it is to install the plug end actually into the tool, like Festool does. (Of course assuming you're prepared to void your warranty and any real chance of selling it)

"Especially when you have several tools out at the same time, one lead"

Now that's the only reason I have read that makes any sense for doing this.

Mike

Presuming you are using a dust extraction hose in conjunction with the lead, if you attached the lead to the hose this would also give support to the socket so preventing it hitting the work piece?

Back