I made a boom arm for a cable, hose or airline...has anyone else made one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackal

Wallybois Woodworking on YouTube
Reaction score

I find these boom things really useful in the work shop as they help stop cables getting caught on stuff when using machine etc

I made a video on making one

Wally, you just have no idea how many millions of these there are going to be soon I think. Your average streets of terraced houses is going to be covered in the things to allow cars to be charged without dragging cables across the pavements.
Nice project btw. Ian

Cabinetman --- that's exactly what I thought when I saw the title of this thread - my next car will be electric, I live in a terrace house - small front garden and quite wide pavement/sidewalk -- been growing an ornamental crab at the front (have a small front garden and hedge) as the basis/main support/camouflage for my charging boom.
In the city streets around here a few charge their camper vans like this but not very carefully done -- can anyone show a good example?

Very nice job.
I have an air connection on the roof in the centre of the bench, with a trailing spiral cable. It works not too bad.
I regret no making a higher ceiling when I had the chance. How high is yours?

I'd pay the extra for the reel type extender.....
similar subject...
made a lift arm for my mill....(can't lift the mag bases and indexing chucks any more)....
it came from the back of my old truck.....waste not want not.....
ps ...do u like the size of that tap wrench......? hahaha....
also any one in the know will see the quill lever changed to a wheel.....which came from a sluice gate on the prop....
IMG_0893.jpeg
100_2514.jpeg

Very nice job.
I have an air connection on the roof in the centre of the bench, with a trailing spiral cable. It works not too bad.
I regret no making a higher ceiling when I had the chance. How high is yours?
I have a 3m ceiling so I am quite fortunate on that one.

Wally, you just have no idea how many millions of these there are going to be soon I think. Your average streets of terraced houses is going to be covered in the things to allow cars to be charged without dragging cables across the pavements.
Nice project btw. Ian
If Only I Had a Tesla to demonstrate that possible future Fact! Maybe I should patent it as a 'car charging station boom arm thingy'

I'd pay the extra for the reel type extender.....
similar subject...
made a lift arm for my mill....(can't lift the mag bases and indexing chucks any more)....
it came from the back of my old truck.....waste not want not.....
ps ...do u like the size of that tap wrench......? hahaha....
also any one in the know will see the quill lever changed to a wheel.....which came from a sluice gate on the prop....
View attachment 94790View attachment 94791
I haven't seen a Bridgeport for Years! Yes, that is one huge Tap Wrench on the wall you have! Nice truck have you used during Prohibition for all that Moon Shine?

Been on my todo list for a while for the same reasons - ideally though I'd like a retracting one.

Nice job! I haven’t made one, but I repurposed a commercial one (Manfrotto) that I had left over from the photographic days when I first set up the workshop ~20 years ago. Works great, and is telescopic, which can be handy. You can get much cheaper versions these days from eg Neewer. 👍

Velcro on a roll does a good job, or you can get Velcro cable-ties - you can leave the tie attached to the boom, makes it easier to add/remove cables or hoses.
P

Here's mine, works great.

I have posted it before so sorry to those who are fed up of seeing it.

boom arm 1.jpg

Nice job! I haven’t made one, but I repurposed a commercial one (Manfrotto) that I had left over from the photographic days when I first set up the workshop ~20 years ago. Works great, and is telescopic, which can be handy. You can get much cheaper versions these days from eg Neewer. 👍

Velcro on a roll does a good job, or you can get Velcro cable-ties - you can leave the tie attached to the boom, makes it easier to add/remove cables or hoses.
P
Cool I too was a photographer trained at Coes in Norwich but did my degree bin 2000 as I was more interested in fine art photography. Funny I still work with must be in the blood🤔

Back