I made a boom arm for a cable, hose or airline...has anyone else made one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pucker...did you make it?

Yes it's homemade, the arms are just torsion boxes hinged with T-hinges.

Couple more pictures

boom arm 2.jpg

boom arm 3.jpg

Doug 71, can I ask why the three hinges on the first section, I can see you need two so it doesn't twist, but three seems excessive considering it only needs to support the weight of a vac hose and a cable. a nice design in terms of making the most of space

The Unicon,
great idea but think it would need beefing up a bit...not because of weight but the general tugging and twisting it would get using belt sanders and router's.....
have a plan now.....thanks...

Shows my workshop at it's tidiest :love:

It's a bit cobbled together It's a work in progress, but works!

Many thanks to Doug71 for the inspiration, and to Peter Millard for linking me to Neewer, their boom arm has a diagonal for extra support, much better idea than the bungee cord bodge I intended.

Boom arm.jpg

The main arm pivots 180 degrees, and the secondary arm with the 6 gang extension another 180, so pretty much wherever I set up a bench, which varies constantly, I can have power in easy reach.

The 3x2 CLS is screwed to the A frame roof, and extends down from the ceiling by 550 mm, leaving 6'4" headroom (I'm 5'9")
Centre of the CLS to the pivot between arm 1&2 is 700mm, and between arm 2 and the end of the boom 400mm.

Last edited:
Doug 71, can I ask why the three hinges on the first section, I can see you need two so it doesn't twist, but three seems excessive considering it only needs to support the weight of a vac hose and a cable. a nice design in terms of making the most of space

I like to over build things and had the hinges so used them, does look a bit excessive now someone points it out :rolleyes:

Back