I love being retired.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retirement bliss hits a bump in the road this week. The wife has given up her part time job. 😩

I suspect my time is going to be managed for me and the 'Honey do' list is going to grow.

No harm in getting a little more encouragement I suppose but might need to find more things to do outside the home.
Maybe start spending hours doing 'research' in the local library 📚 😂

I know of a retired couple in Spain who have a full cooked breakfast every Saturday. When asked what day it is, they can quickly calculate.....hmmm! had breakfast 3 days ago - must be Tuesday. Works for me! :)

I'm quite lucky.....was self employed and quit at 55......16hr days x7per week...just got outta hand....
Now 72 at home all day with my wife who is my best friend and helper......
Only know Sundays by name because we have a full cooked brecky after taking the dogs to the beach (with poo bags) and a roast at T time.....
the rest of the week is a blur.......
winter time rain slows me down until the new workshop is built but long hot summers mean great working days OUTSIDE.....often 20 weeks or more of no rain......
I keep saying "retirement whats that...?"
plenty I know only play golf and get pxxxed each day.....not for me.....
really happy with life, just wish the joints and bones were not so painfull.......
take care and enjoy the toy's....

After the day I had at work I am so jealous! Lucky to have a job mind. Still give me 2 or 3 years and I'm hoping to be let out to play.

Retirement is the objective of a working life, once you have done it you will not look back but I now hear they are pushing it out to 68 for anyone born seventies or later and in some areas they reckon you may only have four years once retired at 68 due to shorter life expectancy in those areas. This is no incentive for the workforce, basicaly being told save more in a pension or work til you drop. On the flip side if people are having to remain in work longer then they stop the younger ones getting on the ladder at the other end, should really ultilise the older workers to pass on their experience rather than just an end date.

Before I retired full time, I did just over a year part time, only working Tuesday, Wed, Thurs, so a 4 day weekend every week. It was brilliant and a great transition from 24/7 stress to no stress. We would go out on a Friday morning to a garden centre, have a cooked breakfast, coffee and send pictures to people at work. I would sit in the sun and just enjoy the feeling of being released from hell. I still sometimes stop and just appreciate my life now. It's just a pity full retirement had been dominated by Covid, otherwise we would have travelled more.

I have a few more years to go before I officially hit retirement although I am in the middle of getting pension illustrations to see whether I can afford to bail out early.

Retirement is the objective of a working life, once you have done it you will not look back but I now hear they are pushing it out to 68 for anyone born seventies or later and in some areas they reckon you may only have four years once retired at 68 due to shorter life expectancy in those areas. This is no incentive for the workforce, basicaly being told save more in a pension or work til you drop. On the flip side if people are having to remain in work longer then they stop the younger ones getting on the ladder at the other end, should really ultilise the older workers to pass on their experience rather than just an end date.
I read this today
State pension age review announced by DWP ‘must consider life expectancy, not just please the Treasury’ (msn.com)

I was lucky enough retire early a couple of years ago but find I still like a fair bit of structure in my life, whether it be my own to-do lists or certain tasks on certain days of the week/month.
If I break my own “rules”, I don’t let anyone down and the structure means the change in my way of life isn’t so dramatic.
Making the decision to go early was hard but having done so, one I’ll never regret and I sometimes cant get over how lucky I’ve been to be able to have had the choice.

The best bit about being retired is not having to go to meetings and listen to some complete a...hole drone on about some half-pineappled 'quality improvement programme'. The point of their pitch not being to improve things but to try and become more visible to upper management.

listen to some complete a...hole drone on about some half-pineappled 'quality improvement programme'. The point of their pitch not being to improve things but to try and become more visible to upper management.
We viewed the management structure as monkeys on a tree, those at the top looked down and saw smiley faces whilst those down the bottom looked up and saw just harse holes .

When my wife was diagnosed with cancer it made us both reevaluate what matter to us in our lives. We both had very demanding jobs which we thoroughly enjoyed, however, life is short and if you plan what your going to do when you retire you might never get there! So at 50 I officially retired! Now, I think I need to retire from retirement as I have too many projects and not enough years ahead of me!
I love every day being Sunday.
Two things I discoveered the hard way, the first was that I was a real pain in the posterior for about 12 months after stopping. From being someone that everyone listened to (I probably also have a hairy sphincter too that people had to look up to!!!) to a person nobody cared about my opinion was a difficult transition. To my shame I know I compensated by trying to impart my wisdom on those close to me.
I found it too easy to become involved in too many things and consequently let people down. I had to reorganise what I was involved with and what I wanted to do.

Last edited:
to a person nobody cared about
I think you have it round the wrong way, whilst at work in a position where everyone listened to you, you were just someone on the payroll and where others had to listen, they may not have cared or even liked you and were there because they were paid, now the people around you are genuine and are there because they want to be.

Took redundancy last month after 33 years at the same company, hated the last 18 months with all the working at home rubbish.

Got to admit feel like a new person, re-energised going to finally train properly to run a sub 1.45 half marathon, grow exotic plants from seed, travel the world without having to pay extortionate prices fRon school holidays and of course spend as much time as I want in the workshop. 😁

Back