I love being retired.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul555

Established Member
Reaction score
It took me a month or more to make this in my garage. It's nowt special but made from some really old oak planks, planed redwood and a bit of black iron. I wanted it to be really solid so I bolted through the legs with some m10 coach bolts into the side rails and routed out some slots on the inside face of the rails to access the nuts. It's finished now, all oiled & waxed, but I can't get far enough away from it in the bedroom it occupies to get a decent picture. However, the bed isn't the reason for this post.....
I'd like to blame my age, arthritic hands, dodgy knees and tennis elbow for the time it took to make but sadly that's not the case. In my little garage, along with a small wood burner and comfy chair, I keep a stash of rather nice single malt hidden from the wife..I say a stash, it's more like a case of the stuff, but it only ever came out when I'd finished for the day. The days were getting shorter and shorter, the job was taking longer and longer and despite my best efforts at subterfuge, the wife was getting more and more suspicious. I thought I was getting away with it until the day the bed was finally ready.
"Will you be bringing that whiskey indoors now?" she says....
With a daft grin on my face I ask her how she knew.
"Well" she says, "Your level of joviality seemed to increase as the mornings wore on, you've burn't your fingers twice on that damn stove, you booked 2 holidays, bought a Range Rover and you're asleep by 7 o'clock every night"
"Is that it?" I say..
"No, not exactly. Come with me" replies the wife as she leads me up the drive.
"Now, turn around and what do you see?

Let down and busted by my homemade trestles....!!!!!

Attachments

• bed2 (1).jpg
    bed2 (1).jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 341
  • bed2 (2).jpg
    bed2 (2).jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 394
  • AA.jpg
    AA.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 406
The honey do list never ends.

Now, I know you said the bed is ready after many a whiskey - but are you adding slats for the mattress? ;)

I think you could get a few more weeks out of that project :)

The honey do list never ends.

Now, I know you said the bed is ready after many a whiskey - but are you adding slats for the mattress? ;)

I think you could get a few more weeks out of that project :)

I'm going to call it the Honey Do list for now on! :LOL:

I'm loving retirement, two and a half years in. Doing things you enjoy at your own pace. Procrastinating. Wasting hours reading stuff on forums. It's great.

Trouble is, wife has now decided to pack in her part time job in December,

Not only will the Honey Do list get longer but I will be summoned daily to give a progress update :oops:

I'm going to call it the Honey Do list for now on! :LOL:

I'm loving retirement, two and a half years in. Doing things you enjoy at your own pace. Procrastinating. Wasting hours reading stuff on forums. It's great.

Trouble is, wife has now decided to pack in her part time job in December,

Not only will the Honey Do list get longer but I will be summoned daily to give a progress update :oops:
As the quote went "Just because I said I would do it doesn't mean you have to remind me every six months!"

Before I gave up my work, people used to tell me that they'd never been so busy as they were now that they're retired and I used to think 'absolute rubbish'.
Retired for quite a while now, and it's true!
The trouble is I don't know if I'm really busy or that everything just takes so much longer...

I retired nearly two years ago from a job as a D&T technician in a secondary school. At times it was a really rewarding job that i thoroughly enjoyed, at other times it was horrendous largely due to the appalling behaviour of some of the kids & the inability of the senior staff to control it.
So i packed it in, I have never been so busy. Project after project completed, worshop re roofed & insulated & pretty well sorted. It is wonderful not to have to be ruled by the school bell & not having to wear a watch.
Few bits left to do like buy & install a decent laser cutter. I do have a lovely victorian set of beer engines, perhaps it is just as well that there is nowhere left to mount them due to having too many tools & machines!

I think the best part of being retired for me is not clock watching or even knowing what day of the week it is
It no longer matters :)

I good mate of mine retired about 5 years ago (he was 55 at the time and 6 months younger than me) and will come and give me a hand to carry/deliver large items to a job if I ask him.
On one occasion, i asked for his help and I suggested we could do the delivery on a weekend if it was more convenient for him.......His reply was, " Every day is the weekend for me now mate....!!"😁

Me too, I retired 3 years ago and it's been great to be able to do what you want when you want. Luckily my wife still works, now only one day per week, but it at least keeps my day of week clock on track, otherwise I have @Blister's problem. I think I do suffer with the same problem as @Kittyhawk though I'm always busy doing something but my productivity seems to have dropped, but hey it doesn't matter, I get paid no matter what I do :)

This post is magic. Top quality Mr G. Had me chuckling away.
*sips Kracken smugly.... Good job I'm not a pisshead*

Being retired is great! In Australia I had spurts of unemployment/lack of work, and no pay. Now I have Norwegian minimum pension, which isn't great. But - and it's a large but, then the Norwegian social services helped me get Australian pension as well. So for once I have a steady income, and at least enough for my frequent AliExpress orders and other stuff I don't need, but want. The last was a battery-driven Husqvarna chain saw, which considering I have an electric 240 volt one, and a petrol one, maybe was not what I needed most. My rationale was that the new one I could safely use indoors. And, the lack of female interruptions has several advantages, not the least regarding what I spend money on. And the implement I used for sex has pretty well withered away, so no great needs there :dunno:

Latest posts

Back