I know I'm going to regret this But

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
following on from my previous request, and in the cold hard light of reality

Which Jointer does the assembled wisdom of the forum consider to be the best ??

Mmmm I know I have a favorite, but what about you ??

Bean

Bean":apcsbpcn said:
following on from my previous request, and in the cold hard light of reality

Which Jointer does the assembled wisdom of the forum consider to be the best ??

Mmmm I know I have a favorite, but what about you ??

Bean

Ummm - the one that works for you??? :roll:

Really - the wood doesn't care who's plane it is, who's holding it, or even what's it's made of... if the blade is sharp, at the correct angle, and presented in a controlled manner... then you'll get the desired surface finish.

The plane is just the holder for blade..... 8)

Cheers -

Rob
(who's never met a plane he didn't like.....!)

Rob a good unbiased reply, but which is your favorite.

I have two, a Veritas and a Clifton

Bean

cause i wanted a dual item, i bought one of the LN Iron mitre planes,
LN9, that way i have an item which will work on a shooting board,
and as a jointer. seems a nice bit of kit, but then i'm only an amateur! :lol:

maybe this will help
paul :wink:

Only tried 3 jointers so far, Stanley, Veritas and Clifton.

In order of preference:
1 Veritas - fantastic (the fence is good too)
2 Clifton
3 ..... wouldn't recommend the stanley

Of course, LN do a jointer.........

I would buy the veritas

Rob Lee":3czomtlw said:
Rob
(who's never met a plane he didn't like.....!)
Don't recall that being exactly what you said about the #55... :lol:

Best jointer. Ooo, the Jet 60A... ooops, wrong forum. Well I'm quite happy with a c.1960 Made in Blighty Stanley #7 as it happens. Been using the VBU in my on-going life-without-bevel-downs-except-a-scrub experiment, but I dunno, I just don't warm to it. Having said which the fence saved my sorry self the other day - got a nasty case of Jointer's Block. :oops: Tried the Cliffie at a show once and it was okay, but the pine to try it on wasn't much of a tester. Never tried the LN; I think I get a kind of rabbit-in-the-headlights feeling when I see so many droolable tools en masse. Same thing happens with the Veritas stuff, and you'd have thought I'd have seen enough of those by now to be blasé. :roll: So on the whole I don't think I've found my "best" jointer yet and may never do so. Gee, that's really sad, I may cry... :cry:

Cheers, Alf

It's not quite a jointer, but I've a stanley #6, and it works a treat. 20 quid off ebay, so can't go too far wrong with that. My only grumble.... The iron does loose it's edge fairly quickly.

I think a lot of it comes down to the setup. I honestly believe that a well setup stanley would beat a dodgy LN, clifton, Veritas etc.. any day. Although a well setup LN would be a different thing altogether, but there's an awful lot of saving to do before I'll be able to know for sure. High end jointers are a whole different league in expensive hand tools!!

Andy

Rob,
the jointers shaping up....is it to be a user or a dust collecter

Bean,
I have never got on well with my LN 7 or my home built 241/2
they can be heavy going. I try and get a good edge on the DJ20 keep my bits short then tackle with a smoother.
I'm building a 14 1/2 panel plane...but with a smoother sized mouth this for me is as big as i'll hopefully ever use.

Adam gets on good with his LN7...he seems to use it more than any other.Its probobly more of a case of what your comfy with and have confidence in

Ian

Right now I'm using a Clark & Williams try plane. It comes setup as a jointer (straight blade, fairly tight mouth) and it is wonderful. Some day I'll put a camber in the blade and open the mouth a touch but it almost seems like sacrilege at this point. I'd love to have one of their 30" jointers. I recently acquired a 30" wooden jointer, can't remember the maker right now but I looked it up and it was from the 1820's. I need to tune it up but the C&W just begs to be used.
I got to try some LV planes at a WW show this weekend, one of which was a #6 which impressed me very much. It feels and performs like a bigger plane. Ok, I know thats what LV says about it but I wasn't prepared for how pronounced the effect was. Good job, Rob! =D>

Ian Dalziel":8gznmf67 said:
Rob,
the jointers shaping up....is it to be a user or a dust collecter

(snip)

Ian

Hi Ian -

We're making a display of modern metal planemakers, and this is to be Konrad's signature piece...

We already have pieces from a number of sources...

If I was going for a user from Konrad - I'd want a size I'd actually use more - a smooth or panel plane...

Yours, BTW, look great too - but then again, you don't seem to do anything 1/2 way... :lol: :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

Roger Nixon":2y6cqwbq said:
(snip)
It feels and performs like a bigger plane. Ok, I know thats what LV says about it but I wasn't prepared for how pronounced the effect was. Good job, Rob! =D>

Hi Roger -

Thanks for the kind comments.... we wouldn't get very far telling fibs now, would we? :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

AndyG":r9u2hdxj said:
so can't go too far wrong with that. My only grumble.... The iron does loose it's edge fairly quickly.

I think a lot of it comes down to the setup. I honestly believe that a well setup stanley would beat a dodgy LN, clifton, Veritas etc.. any day. Andy

Andy
A LN #5.5 blade will slot straight into the stanley #6 - mine has one

As the owner of 5 Stanleys (2 with Hock blades adn Clifton chip breakers), 2 records, and several LVs and LNs, I can't agree with the other comment.

Tony":26v9k290 said:
AndyG":26v9k290 said:
so can't go too far wrong with that. My only grumble.... The iron does loose it's edge fairly quickly.

I think a lot of it comes down to the setup. I honestly believe that a well setup stanley would beat a dodgy LN, clifton, Veritas etc.. any day. Andy

Andy
A LN #5.5 blade will slot straight into the stanley #6 - mine has one

As the owner of 5 Stanleys (2 with Hock blades adn Clifton chip breakers), 2 records, and several LVs and LNs, I can't agree with the other comment.
Well, the caveat is a "dodgy" LN, LV et al.

My opinion is there are a lot more "dodgy" Stanley et al planes than the new makers are producing.

That said, with effort and good fortune in obtaining good old planes, they can be made to perform as well as a LN, LV, Clifton. I have an Ohio #8 fitted with a stock LN blade for their #8 that performs every bit as good as a LN--but it wasn't that good when I found it. Mainly it is in the machining which needs to be corrected for a positive fit of the frog to sole. Flattening is a fairly easy enough chore, which also needs done.

As well, my Bed Rock #5 fitted with a Hock blade is a top performer. It needed nothing but a good cleaning and the new blade/chip breaker. Not bad for a free plane.

My LV #6 needed a slight flattening, mainly due to the adjustable sole being a hair lower than the sole. So not even new planes are always perfect. Though the little work it needed was nothing like flattening the Ohio #8. It is a great plane, though. I most often use it when working. It is set for a fairly fine shaving, which it will do exceedingly well.

My Sargent #6 is set for a heavier shaving and has a lightly cambered blade. I don't own a #7, choosing to go directly to the #8 for long or otherwise large pieces.

Take care, Mike

My jointer is an Ohio Tool no 07C and I like it very much, though I have the heavy Ohio Tool blade in it. I have bought several of their planes as they seem to have been popular around here, they turn up often and because, unless you know what to look for, they appear at a casual glance to be a no name plane. My 07 was rather rusty when purchased for $4.00, Canadian but cleaned up nicely and though the rust proofing paint I used on it probably destroyed the value as a collectable it did inhibit any further incursions of the dreaded oxide.

However I am curious Mike, did you have to modify your 08 to accept the LN blade, and did you use the original chip breaker? I am interested as I have two others that I would like to use more, and have not as yet fettled them.

Mittlefehldt":2mclyec5 said:
Snip

However I am curious Mike, did you have to modify your 08 to accept the LN blade, and did you use the original chip breaker? I am interested as I have two others that I would like to use more, and have not as yet fettled them.
It works fine, albeit with more backlash than with the original iron and chip breaker. I have the LN chip breaker on it as well.

TLN was surprised it worked at all as they have heard less than good results from others. Though not at that time with Ohio planes. I also assume that using the original chip breaker may have aleviated some of the excessive backlash, but I elected to keep it with the original iron and have since sold them so I cannot test that idea.

I would suspect that if needed they would supply a longer bolt for the chip breaker, but I haven't bothered. Once set, I do not unset it except for sharpening.

I also put a Hock blade an chip breaker in my Sargent #6. It too has a little more backlash, but it is negligable.

planes_0050a.jpg

Take care, Mike

Thanks Mike maybe I will try my one and only Veritas blade in one of the Ohio planes and see how it works. Personally I find the Ohio Tool Planes seem to have a fair bit of backlash even with the original blade and chip breaker.

Latest posts

Back