I just heard the news from Wales...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
... that the police have pretty much given up hope of finding April alive.

It's dreadful, but given the time elapsed, it's to be expected, I suppose.

But I had to say something. I just can't imagine what would drive someone to do whatever was done to that little girl. And I can't imagine either what the family must be going through.

I'm nowhere near Machynlleth, but it's been on my mind ever since the story first broke. Perhaps it's because I have daughters too, I don't know.

Of course, it would be foolish to suggest this hasn't 'always gone on', especially in the light of the stories about Mr. Saville, but to me it's still utterly incomprehensible.

What should we be doing, to try to stop this happening to any more children and their families?

E.

have to agree with above .......bring back hanging may be the only ultimate deterrent

Anyone with those kind of tendencies should be automaticly castrated :x and hung for rape or murder of children :x :x

As is usual at these times, feelings are running very high right now and we can all think of things we would like to do with the guilty party. One Idea (if he is guilty, and everything we have seen on the news would seem to indicate that the Police think he is) would be to free him. Make a public announcement that he will be released at such and such a time outside Machynlleth community centre - he'll never do it again!

One of the reasons we don't have the death penalty in this country though is because of situations like the recent case of the 20 year old held for 5 months for a rape he didn't commit.

www.dailymail.co.uk/

It is certainly a terrible situation and my heart goes out to the mother of little April. I think one of the worst things that can happen in anyone's life must be to lose a child under any circumstances and we can only try to imagine what she is going through.

regards

Brian

Webby":ep10p2sv said:
have to agree with above .......bring back hanging may be the only ultimate deterrent
Many studies over many years have shown that the death penalty is not an effective deterrent for murder

People who commit murder believe they will not be caught, are acting in a moment of a blinding anger or passion, or are substance abusers who murder impulsively.

Ultimately, the death penalty wrongly promotes that killing is an acceptable way to deal with problems.

I think hanging is too good and too quick for him or whoever it may be. Try a dip in quick lime or hung, drawn and quarterd or just put him in a female high security prison. It is so sad to think it may be one of her family (the current suspect is an uncle????????). To be honest I, like so many others want to see the culprit offed, but know that will never happen. So there is no deteriant to prevent this or any other serious crime. I too wish to see the death peanlty back, I would even que to pull the lever to send them on their merry way, but this will never happen in my life time. I do hope they catch her abductor and give him a hard time. I know what I would do if anybody attmepts this on any of my kids!, and it wont be nice, that I can tell you. I too hope they find her alive, I really do; but considering the time gone, I think it will be a sad, sad outcome.

RogerP":25zr3f2o said:
Webby":25zr3f2o said:
Many studies over many years have shown that the death penalty is not an effective deterrent for murder

People who commit murder believe they will not be caught, are acting in a moment of a blinding anger or passion, or are substance abusers who murder impulsively.

Ultimately, the death penalty wrongly promotes that killing is an acceptable way to deal with problems.

I have to slighly disagree, there are people who murder people just because they can. They have no mental illnss nor take drugs or substance, it is niether passion or anger. Look a Mexico City, they murder children in the hundreds just because they kids are there and in large numbers. What about the people who want to get caught and continue to commit murder until they are either caught or shoot by the police. This can all be proven too.

If hanging wrongly promotes killing as acceptable, what is your solution, give them a cup of tea and a biscuit and say there there all better now?

RogerP":3a649a0k said:
Webby":3a649a0k said:

Quite correct Roger. However
There are a umber of cases where convicted murderers have on release from prison committed murder or other serious crime yet again.
Even more in the case of rapists and dont get me started on paedophes.

Im not guessing At this. I know!

If death penalty was a true life sentence and no halving the sentences of other crimes either.

Bob

riclepp":1wt8f6eq said:
I think hanging is too good and too quick for him or whoever it may be. Try a dip in quick lime or hung, drawn and quarterd o......
Can we take it that you accept the risk that you yourself might be wrongly found guilty and hung drawn and quartered by mistake?

Hi Jacob.

With DNA testing / fingerprinting, cctv, and the increase of the population, PNC databases, profiling etc. It would be more difficult to get it wrong and hang or whatever to the wrong person. Ever heard of an "Eye for an Eye". If I was found guilty of summat I did'nt do, then it is in the lap of the gods isnt it. And if they bring back the death penalty and was to be hung for a murder i did not commit, then thats my destany and is all planned out and I could not change that.

What about you then Jacob, you happy with child abuser's , peado's, rapists and murderers being allowed freedom because of the human rights act and go out and do it again. Are you happy in knowing that these people are living the life of luxuray in prion and your taxes are paying for them, are you happy knowing it could be a family member of yours next!

I say hang them from the neaest and highest tree. And if that means me, for being wrongly accused then so be it ( and no I don't do any of those things), we all have to die at some point.

riclepp":1bx9cnb6 said:
Hi Jacob.

With DNA testing / fingerprinting, cctv, and the increase of the population, PNC databases, profiling etc. It would be more difficult to get it wrong and hang or whatever to the wrong person.

But if you check my post above you will see it is still happening.

But we digress..

I see the Police have been given another 24 hours to question this man - it does seem to be a struggle for them - if he is guilty he should know where she (or her body) is and if so he is just rubbing salt into the wound by not disclosing the location. - or does he have an accomplice? Won't be the first time

regards

Brian

mob.gif

I have said in the past the death penalty should return for murder and serious attacks on vulnerable people ie pensioners, children and the disabled.
I also believe that prison is not the deterrent that people think it is, it's about time that all the do gooders kept silent and stopped fighting for prisoners rights, lets not allow them TVs in their rooms, ( whoops I mean cells ) or play stations or anything else that will make their stay a little more comfortable.
I am we'll aware what it is like in a prison not far from where I live, I have been inside (on professional business may I add) and seen first hand just how hard it is for the inmates, my 96 year old mother in law is more a prisoner in her sheltered housing flat than the scum I have had to assist on several occasions.
Oh and by the way I am a dad to 2 beautiful daughters and a grandad to 3 beautiful grand-children aged 5 years, 15 months and 4 months, I am a family man who's puts his family first, I would lay down my life for anyone of them, I cannot imagine what Aprils parents are going though but my thoughts are with them.

Stew

riclepp":32xg05u2 said:
What about you then Jacob, you happy with child abuser's , peado's, rapists and murderers being allowed freedom because of the human rights act and go out and do it again. Are you happy in knowing that these people are living the life of luxuray in prion and your taxes are paying for them, are you happy knowing it could be a family member of yours next!

I don't know how to quote multiple posters, so this one seems to be the only one showing.

Whatever our views of death penalty, it seems quite a step to suggest that Jacob is happy with offenders being allowed to offend again and attack his family, (and I ain't either.)

With regard to living a life of luxury, most if not all of us will have seen newspaper reports of such luxury, and of course they will exist. However when a law student, I visited jails and they are far from a life of luxury, (even those on remand and therefore not yet tried, so technically 'innocent'). In Leicester jail, single cells held 2 or 3 men due to lack of space - for 23 hours a day.

Humane, they are not. And NO I am not saying lets give TV etc to all the paedos, murderers, rapists, etc. Many are inside for relatively petty offences and the 'idea' of prison is deprivation of liberty, it certainly isn't meant to be to brutalise inmates and release them more angry, more vindictive and less socially aware.

Regarding cost - detailed academic research in countries where the death penalty is used, found the cost is far higher than even life, (and I mean life) sentences - due to many reasons, but including extremely high trial costs, (evidence, examinations, cross-examinations, expert witnesses), appeals, counter-appeals, .... the list goes on.

And no evidence of it being a deterrent, either.

Why cannot life mean life? If it did, many of us would accept it.

With regard to one very early posters point as to how do such people do what they do, I have no idea and like all of you, can only sympathise with the family. How do we stop it in future? again, I am not sure anyone knows, but I would think that the more aware we make our selves and our children and the more we as a society work to prevent abuse, the less the abuse would occur.

Sorry it's gone on a bit and I expect I'll be shot down on a few points, but that's free speech.

What was the old saying "You might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb".

They can only kill you once so, after the first one, where's the deterrent.

Also, if you know they are going to kill you anyway there's no point to holding back.

If you are going to spend 10 - 15 years locked up in prison, however, you might think twice about things.

riclepp":2q8ot6rj said:
Hi Jacob.

With DNA testing / fingerprinting, cctv, and the increase of the population, PNC databases, profiling etc. It would be more difficult to get it wrong and hang or whatever to the wrong person. Ever heard of an "Eye for an Eye". If I was found guilty of summat I did'nt do, then it is in the lap of the gods isnt it. And if they bring back the death penalty and was to be hung for a murder i did not commit, then thats my destany and is all planned out and I could not change that.

I say hang them from the neaest and highest tree. And if that means me, for being wrongly accused then so be it ( and no I don't do any of those things), we all have to die at some point.

Somehow I doubt that those would be your sentiments when they are tightening the noose around your neck. It's pretty easy to be blase about such things when you know it's never going to happen.

mailee":1nb5tmmj said:
What does it say in the bible? 'an eye for an eye'

Errm, If we all believe the bible and assuming we do, then just the Old Testament and assuming we still do, then that whoever wrote it (and please no-one tell me it was God) has the last word....

Oh and just thought - An eye for an eye must logically mean (in this case) kidnap the kidnapper's child so they know what it feels like - Not sure even the Daily Mail would encourage traumatising 2 children

How about gaoling murders for, say, five years solitary confinement per murder, then hanging them?.....couple that with a giant hamster wheel for electricity generation should they require cooked food or cell heating. That should do nicely.

Back