I just decided not to bother with F1 any more.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Why?

A) It's becoming predictable.
B) Sky are taking the first four races from BBC next year.

So now I am getting even less for my licence fee;
Except for the occasional great program like 'Frozen Planet', which is well-offset by rubbish like 'Strictly Come Dancing', and all the other 'reality' shows and soaps.

Thank the fates we have DVDs.

John :(

You only need to pay Rupert Murdoch, AC, KSG loads of money then you can watch them all.

.... no, I won't either!

Interesting, as I too got bored with it. That may just be that as I grow up (!!) I get over the petrol-head fascination. BUT F1 has tried to make it more interesting but failed. All the rule changes re tyres, engines etc were conceived to create closer racing, but Red Bull left the field behind so it's still dull. What about setting a fuel consumption limit for the entire race? That would be relevant to the issues the World faces and may well deliver tech developments of real value.
I acknowledge the technical achievements, the skill etc... but I think F1 has drifted away from reality, and in times like this not so many of us enjoy watching rubber-burning glamour sport which is so far detached from real life.

Having gone digital about eighteen months ago (will never go for sky as it run by sc**), I am amazed how determined the whole industry is in ensuring I eventually turn it off for good.
The same 50 films go around every three months. I ain't interested in watching reality shows about those who can't sing or dance. I can't abide modern documentaries method of 'this what we are going to do - this is what we are doing - this is what we have done' format.
And I don't do sport much. At the current rate of decline I should have thrown the whole thing out by the time I retire in five'ish years, so I can then spend more time in what I hope will be a heated insulated workshop!

F1 is only good for using the drone to aid a Sunday nap.

Gareth

So I am not alone then....
I have fallen asleep during races; suspected the continual engine noise might have been the cause.
I am glad about that. I thought I might be turning into a miserable, grumpy old curmudgeon. (Yes I know those words mean much the same thing! ) :lol:

John :D

Benchwayze":3dhr20t6 said:
I thought I might be turning into a miserable, grumpy old curmudgeon. (Yes I know those words mean much the same thing! ) :lol:

John :D
John, you have been for a while :lol: :lol: ...same as me (in fact in one job some years ago they used to call me after a very well known TV grump :-" ) but I do have to agree with you about F1. Now bikes is a totally different kettle of worms, 'specially when it comes from the IofM :shock: :shock: - Rob

Yeah! OK Rob! Now you have made my evening! :mrgreen: :lol:

I know one thing. I wish they would introduce the 'pole-position' system into horse-racing; instead of handicapping the best horses! Okay they would be very short priced favourites, but look how many of them would win!

I'm with Rob on the bikes.

The last race of this years British Superbikes was an absolute cliff hanger with the whole season decided on the last corner of the last race and only 2 one thousandth of a second separating the two contenders for the title.

Have a look here

http://www.crash.net/british+superbikes ... _2011.html

One of the best races I have ever seen.

Mick

Likewise
For me, the 1st corner or two of F1 is worth a watch and thats it. Maybe a wet race when strategy and pit stops make it a bit more exciting, but otherwise it`s a bit boring.
The best racing for me is BTCC where one lap can sometimes be as exciting as a whole F! race!!!
That and MOTOGP. Rossi hopefully back with the Duke next year.
Steve

There was a good film on BBC1 last week. The Alzheimer type story, the lady went into a care home and then forgot her husband and fell in love with another chap also with Alzs.
When her husband came to visit she didn't recognise him and kept giving all her attention to the new man.

My wife was in tears, and I was giggling my head off.

devonwoody":1nq5bn6b said:
There was a good film on BBC1 last week. The Alzheimer type story, the lady went into a care home and then forgot her husband and fell in love with another chap also with Alzs.
When her husband came to visit she didn't recognise him and kept giving all her attention to the new man.

My wife was in tears, and I was giggling my head off.

That is the mirror of the scenario for one of my wife's good friends. She has 'lost' her husband in the same way.
I find it distressing myself. I pray to the fates it doesn't happen to me or my wife is all.

John

Benchwayze":2xq46qa4 said:
Why?

A) It's becoming predictable.
B) Sky are taking the first four races from BBC next year.

So now I am getting even less for my licence fee;
Except for the occasional great program like 'Frozen Planet', which is well-offset by rubbish like 'Strictly Come Dancing', and all the other 'reality' shows and soaps.

Thank the fates we have DVDs.

John :(

Nowt wrong with Strictly. That Ola is well-fit :wink:

Stew,

As your signature says... well, that's how I feel about 'Strictly'. It doesn't feel right.

It's become a variety show. With clowns like Russel Whatchamacallhim, getting 'fired' from a cannon!
That isn't strictly ballroom dancing is it?

And I never did like Forsyth's brand of 'humour'.

But I am a miserable old 'git! :lol:

John

I too am a miserable old git, but watching them young lady's in their ever so tiny costumes.......oh it cheers me up and makes me feel young(ish) again. =P~ =P~ =P~

Stew

DIY Stew":169kgfxh said:
John

I too am a miserable old git, but watching them young lady's in their ever so tiny costumes.......oh it cheers me up and makes me feel young(ish) again. =P~ =P~ =P~

Stew

I never thought about that angle much, but yep, maybe.... Okay! You give me an idea. I will use iplayer to catch-back, then I can watch it when the Missus is out shopping or whatever! =P~ =P~ =P~
That has to be better than F1 for sure.

John! :D

RogerS":wo1mb1ta said:
Strictly Come Dancing...what other programme could you watch featuring scantily clad lovely lades and not get an ear-bending?
Ann Widdecombe?...there are exceptions Rog :lol: :lol: - Rob

Back