I inherited a shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jessup":wbn975m0 said:
I can see I've got my work cut out finding out what's what. I don't know about using them. I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks for the help identifying things.

It shouldnt be too bad a task. If you take some good photographs and post them on here, a few at a time, then you will get told what is what pretty quickly

Worth a go eh? Can never have too many planes!

Seriously i think it would be great to keep them and put them back into service, it's the best way to keep tools in good condition i think.

Hi again....

I note that you say that you clean them with wax...if it's furniture polish in a spray with silicone....avoid using it.

Silicone gets all over the place and once on wood in the workshop it can cause difficulty finishing.

It's the only thing I ban in my workshop....and that's saying something! :mrgreen:

Jim

The thing that looks like a goth's necklace in the leather wallet/pouch is a pocket chain saw

you wrap it over a branch and pull it back and forth to cut said branch

never seen a picture of one on this site before nor any discussion or mention of them - but spookily I started a thread about them on the buying guide part of the forum yesterday!!

not worth much (new between £10 and £25 depending on make)

suspect you may get some PMs about the other gear

cheers

jimi43

No worries. It is wax. I've bought a few small chairs in last few years and they always need a clean just to make them "handleable".

ta.

stoatyboy

Haha goth's necklace. I'm happy it's not worth much 'cos I like it and do a lot of messing in gardens.

I saw your chain saw thread.

Thanks

If the lever cap on that No.7 is original, that implies that it was made between 1902 and 1925.

(Info from Paricks Blood n' Gore)

Handtools below the planes L-R from top:

2 x Tin snips (may be specialized, but can't be sure without them being opened)
3 x Screwdrivers
1 x Rat tail file? bent!
1 x Unknown can't see clearly from picture
Saw blade, possibly for Padsaw but looks rather long.
Hacksaw blade in handle
Tin snips standard
Pincers
Circlip pliers (external)
Adjustable square (inclinometer).

More when me brain stops 'urtin!

Adam Mada":2d8dp393 said:
I don't want to hijack the thread, but how would you go about cleaning these tools up to put them back to use?

Apart from a little rust on the Stanley no 7, these tools look fine! No cleaning needed beyond a little dusting.

I think we need a 'sticky' on tool cleaning - there is so much good information on this site already, all findable by searching, or just browsing backwards and looking at likely subject headings.

jessup":2v6412la said:
AndyT

Is planing a bit off your desk a common hazard of "just wonder how this works..."

I don't think so, but if it happens, the recommended cure is to move yourself, and everything you need, into this wonderful shed that you now have, swapping the desk for a workbench, which is far more useful, and easily adjusted / adapted / mended!!

@jimi43

The little plane is a Norris. Just dug it out and can make out Norris London. Very excitedly thought I could see another marking and saw it says "steel" HA! I can't see a name on the blade. Really enjoying just finding out about them.

Come across lovely big chisel (9ins blade) by Thos Ibbotson. Am getting that "they knew how to make stuff" feeling.

jessup":2banbp02 said:
@jimi43

The little plane is a Norris. Just dug it out and can make out Norris London. Very excitedly thought I could see another marking and saw it says "steel" HA! I can't see a name on the blade. Really enjoying just finding out about them.

Come across lovely big chisel (9ins blade) by Thos Ibbotson. Am getting that "they knew how to make stuff" feeling.

Thought so. More pics please? Even an uncleaned version of the iron too.

Jim

toolsntat Thanks for the "steel" link. This little plane looks very like the Norris no. 6 Smoother. Well given that this one's filthy...

jimi43

Will get more pics as soon asap. Something about the iron. To me it looks "homemade". It's not symetrical.

Get me..iron! HA!

jessup":37gxe1hi said:
jimi43

Will get more pics as soon asap. Something about the iron. To me it looks "homemade". It's not symetrical.

Get me..iron! HA!

This is my Norris iron of about the same vintage with a Sorby cap iron.

DSC_0113.JPG

Be careful about cleaning this particular plane...I would just leave it because if you intend to sell it the buyer will almost definitely want to clean it themselves. Overcleaning will certainly devalue it...maybe...apparently...depends... :mrgreen:

Jim

Latest posts

Back