I have the bug

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodntings

Reaction score
Just wanted to say Hello to you all,

I've only been turning for about 8 months but I'm well and truly hooked.
Have managed to squeeze a lathe and bandsaw into my cosey little shed and there's no keeping me out of there, I find turning so relaxing after a stressful day in the office..
Been looking at the forum for a few months now and have been inspired by so many of you, I never imagined the huge variety of work that can be achieved on a lathe.
I have so much to learn, but I do like a challenge and I look forward to asking some questions in the future.

Ben

Welcome, Ben,
you have come to the right place for advice,help,inspiration and whatever you require.These are a great bunch of lads and very forthcoming with assistance, so ask away and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question.So sit back and enjoy !!
Frank.

I must say I have been thinking about it, looking at the quality of last year’s entries the standard is well, it’s a bit daunting to say the least..
But hey I will give it a go,

Where do I sign???

Welcome Ben,

This IS the friendliest forum in the internet !!!!

Lets know a little about your setup - what kinda lathe do you have ?, and you've been here a while now - so lets have some pics !!!!!

Welcome, I am both a novice and a newcomer here also, I have found it a nice place so far although a little light on traffic in this room.
There are certainly some fine turners here.
Hope you have fun here and learn a little.
Tony

Thank you all for the friendly welcome, I will get some pics posted as soon as I work it out.
My setup is mostly Axminster kit, I have an old m900 lathe, a 350n bandsaw and a grinder but due to the size of my workshop (12'x5') space is an issue, but plans are afoot to extend, if I can convince someone she doesn't need all that lawn.
I also have a konig lathe that someone very kindly gave me a few years ago, but it's currently in storage due to lack of space. Silly question, are konig lathes any good I believe it's variable speed..
Promise to post up some pictures soon.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have the same issues with space as me. My stuff's all squeezed into an 8x6 but there's plenty of lawn sitting there doing nothing - all I have to do is convince her of this. :)

Anyway, enjoy yourself here. Everyone's great, and they all give top class advice.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Welcome Ben - there are a few on here that may be physically close to you as well (West Kent?); not unknown for us to get together over a cup of tea and a lathe from time to time.

jumps":2j9km6q3 said:
Welcome Ben - there are a few on here that may be physically close to you as well (West Kent?); not unknown for us to get together over a cup of tea and a lathe from time to time.

A couple of us do the same in north staffordshire

Ok, Here I hope are a couple of photos, sorry about the quality most were taken with my phone.
Jumps, I'm near Penshurst.. Cup of tea, shed, wood, lathe.. Couldn't think of a better combination.

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 1,271
  • Pic2.JPG
    Pic2.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 1,271
  • Pic4.JPG
    Pic4.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 1,270
  • Pic5.JPG
    Pic5.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 1,271
about 4 miles then.... :)

I don't think that's iroko - but it's definitely impressive pyro for 'a bit of play!'

Thanks Jumps, I will have to have a closer look at the wood and try and work out what it is.

I have managed to get my hands on a load of Catalpa, it's a bit plain in colour but it's a joy to turn.
Has anyone turned this wood? I'm trying to work out the best finish for it..

Welcome to the forum, Ben.

loz":394hwl3a said:
Welcome Ben,

This IS the friendliest forum in the internet !!!!

Unless you get on one side or t'other of (hammer) 'The Debaters' (hammer) in the General off-topic discussions!!! (Just make sure you've a spare hour or two just to read it!

Cheers,

Greg

Back