I have learnt something new today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I discovered a new word, the word is "gruntled" meaning the opposite of disgruntled.

gruntled
adjective
pleased, satisfied, and contented.

I have never heard anyone use gruntled, I intend to use it as much as possible in the future as I like it.

Over to you guys, educate me with something I may not know, it will make me extremely gruntled.

“I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” ― P.G. Wodehouse, The Code of the Woosters.

doctor Bob":2t3ie8op said:
Today I discovered a new word, the word is "gruntled" meaning the opposite of disgruntled.

gruntled
adjective

I have never heard anyone use gruntled, I intend to use it as much as possible in the future as I like it.

Over to you guys, educate me with something I may not know, it will make me extremely gruntled.

After reading this I checked if perse had anything to do with disperse

Guess what ...…….. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/perse

It doesn't :oops:

I spend much of my life in a state of abject discombobulation. I don't know that I have ever met anyone who was combobulated. I probably would have noticed.

(I should point out that this is probably the only word that the United States of America has contributed to the English language, and actually enhanced and advanced it.)

Morphic resonance :shock:

it means:
animals inherit instinct from previous members of their own species.

This collective memory in inherent in fields, called morphic fields, and is transmitted through both time and space by morphic resonance.

Sounds like fantasy?
no its a real thing.

the most common story is morphic resonance in sheep :D

my favorite word is "defenestration" - the act of throwing something out / through a window.... like a person in a bar fight.

Many years ago now, when I was just starting to make films, I made a router jig for cutting mortices. I was doing the talking and the camera was being operated by my friend Bob. Apparently I said something strange.
Bob: "You've just called it a Routice."
Me: "Have I?". Sure enough I had.

Take 2.
Bob: " You've done it again!"

And again.

So there we are. Routice = to rout a mortice.

doctor Bob":3rk1ray0 said:

gruntled
adjective

From the delightful Susie Dent:
You can be gruntled (satisfied), kempt (combed), couth (polite), ruthful (full of compassion), whelmed (capsized), and gorm-like (have an intelligent look about you). And, for a while in the 1600s, you could be shevelled too.
Robin. (Gormless, unkempt and dishevelled).

rafezetter":2zrrr12y said:
my favorite word is "defenestration" - the act of throwing something out / through a window.... like a person in a bar fight.
It is odd though - you never hear of people/things being "fenestrated", presumably being thrown into a building via the window. A handy skill if you have It, presumably.

The Czechs turned it into a "thing", having three notorious goes at it. I have seen the window , in Prague castle where the third successful* event happened. It's built on a hill and a jolly long way down in an almost straight line - not a defenestration anyone would just get up and walk away from, unless of course you were Sarah Anne Henley (from Easton).

Handy word all the same, especially so when threatening badly behaved computer equipment.

E.

*obviously the event tended to polarize the participants somewhat, some having a much worse view of it than others. After the first go, the Czechs,apparently, practiced with dead people for a bit, presumably so the protagonists didn't get the hang of it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

RobinBHM":3uowjo2j said:
Morphic resonance :shock:

it means:
animals inherit instinct from previous members of their own species.

This collective memory in inherent in fields, called morphic fields, and is transmitted through both time and space by morphic resonance.

Sounds like fantasy?
no its a real thing.

the most common story is morphic resonance in sheep :D

Which is why its easier to do the crossword the day after its published :)

I remember reading about morphic resonance about 36 years ago. As I recall it was not to do with inheritance as such, but more that once something had happened for the first time, it became easier for it to happen again everywhere else.
The example I remember concerned monkeys washing potatoes in saltwater.
I also seem to remember that it was only an idea, and not verified.

I'll now go ogle it to see how bsd my memory is.

Eric The Viking":1vbcp6pb said:
rafezetter":1vbcp6pb said:
It is odd though - you never hear of people/things being "fenestrated", presumably being thrown into a building via the window. A handy skill if you have It, presumably.

I think that they should have invented the word 'exfenestrated' to mean chucking things/people out of a window. A little bit like being excommunicated but more physical.

I think that if someone said that a building was fenestrated, I'd take that to mean 'fitted with windows' - architects are always going on about 'fenestration' in this context - perhaps also 're-fenestrated' or 'de-fenestrated' (assuming the latter word hadn't already been given a different meaning) as having windows replaced or removed.

Cheers, W2S

Latest posts

Back