I have learnt something new today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Defenestration is a word on the technical author bingo card.

Still haven't managed to get it in to a report.

Defend: the removal of fend
:D

novocaine":1cydltqa said:

And in similar vein, "the feckless" are just lacking some .....

Eric The Viking":1xdkmtd3 said:
......It is odd though - you never hear of people/things being "fenestrated", presumably being thrown into a building via the window. .......

That's the danger of turning non-verbs into verbs. Fenestration is a word I use almost daily, as it refers to the windows and glazed doors in a facade. Obviously from the same roots as "fenetre", (sorry, can't do accents), the French for window.

Sorry, Mike, but I wasn't:
a) Having an argument.
b) Citing anyone

I was merely linking to a piece about monkeys and sweet potatoes in celebration that my memory still works after a fashion.

If you read my original post, I did say that the morphic resonance thing was just an idea (I didn't use the word theory, because it means different things to different people), and I did say that, as I recalled, it hadn't been verified.

Eric, if you are an A level Biology pupil ( I refuse to say "student", that's university), then in muscle structure you will indeed see "fenestrated" as an active term. It refers to the window-like gaps in the reticulum there and comes from the latin 'fenester' yada,yada...

Just sayin'...etymologically....

Sam.

Edit: or is it 'fenestra'? ...gawd, latin to Junior level, 1970...

I always thought the morphic resonance and inheritance thing to do with things like the spread of knowledge in animals, eg - during the 40s or 50s when some birds in the south of England learned to rip the foil on the new milk bottles being delivered and within a week it was happening in the north of Scotland as well

phil.p":3pbjvvis said:
Eric The Viking":3pbjvvis said:
Handy word all the same, especially so when threatening badly behaved computer equipment.
"percussive maintenance" is useful, as well.

I had a weird deja vu moment a few years back: in the early 2010s I was asked into the BBC in Bristol to do a "down-the-line" interview for a London programme.

Technically, this is often achieved by use of a cupboard known as the "unattended studio". The idea dates back to WW2 I think - studios and staff being too expensive and travel being awkward. These places were set up all round the country (similar cupboards were found all over the UK in town halls (remember them), office blocks, and other BBC sites), so they could quickly get people on air should they need to, without getting them to a main studio centre, and avoiding expensive studio bookings (and staff). The Bristol "unattended" is (was) just behind the BBC's main reception area, to where it was moved a few decades ago from an older part of the site.

The equipment was semi-automatic (later versions had some elements of remote control), owned by radio News and Current Affairs (NCA), and London News had priority and managed the bookings. My department in Bristol occasionally baby-sat contributors, if they were especially technophobic and if we had staff available. The latter could be anybody of any grade, senior staff or sprogs, and it might be quite fun, as you never knew who you might be assisting.

When the studio was moved, one of the items transferred was the engineering fault-report (EFR) book. Every studio had one: auto-carbon, top copy to maintenance, second copy staying in the book. Maintenance had their own box on the form, where they could write any repair action taken.

I had time to kill, so I took it down off the shelf and had a quick read.

OK I am a sad bu**er, but wow! I don't think the book had been used for about 15 years, but I found EFRs written by me and colleagues from the 1980s. A real trip down Memory Lane...

... The one thing that would have made it truly wonderful was "fault rectified by percussion maintenance". Yes, we hit stuff and it really did get written into the book occasionally. For example, in the days of big reel-to-reel tape machines, there was a certain model where the brakes regularly jammed - that was a safe bet (I vaguely remember a block of wood for the purpose). When that model used to come up on eBay, you could often see the dent and scraped paint in the pictures (there was an exact spot...). But in that era many technical things BBC-ish just needed a well-aimed thump.

Happy days.

E.

Eric

" But in that era many technical things BBC-ish just needed a well-aimed thump. "

Quite a lot of non technical and technical staff could also benefit from your methods if I recall my time in LCR correctly.

PS I used to work in the news traffic area(part of LCR) that the bristol studio would ring up to establish the connection. I can still remember the phone number of the hunting group used (sad I know)

Our remote red light and buzzer system worked, but only went as far as Bristol comms centre (originally Bristol control room, which had three proper uniselectors of its own when I started in 1978). If doing something live, such as Any Answers, it was an occasional good tease to ask London continuity for a red light, and then pretend to buzz back (so it could be heard down the phone), even though nowt had happened at our end. The obvious "I didn't get your buzz" would be met with "It's working here, listen..." and doing it again.

If we were really lucky the London continuity operator logged it as a fault... :)

John Brown":3i3jgw0j said:
Sorry, Mike, but I wasn't:
a) Having an argument.
b) Citing anyone

I was merely linking to a piece about monkeys and sweet potatoes in celebration that my memory still works after a fashion.

If you read my original post, I did say that the morphic resonance thing was just an idea (I didn't use the word theory, because it means different things to different people), and I did say that, as I recalled, it hadn't been verified.

Apologies John. On re-reading my post I can see that it was poorly worded. I was meaning to talk in broad terms (the collective "you"), rather than specifically in response to you, and I'm fully aware you weren't trying to win an argument. I'm surrounded by scientists with an intense dislike of pseudo-science and new-age woo, and Sheldrake is one of the worst examples of the type. I'll try harder to be clear next time.

Eric The Viking":1e3vul7z said:
rafezetter":1e3vul7z said:
my favorite word is "defenestration" - the act of throwing something out / through a window.... like a person in a bar fight.
It is odd though - you never hear of people/things being "fenestrated", presumably being thrown into a building via the window. A handy skill if you have It, presumably.

I dunno but Dutch moving companies have probably become quite skilled at it.

While many of my fellow architects course attendees partook of the *ahem* other delights of Amsterdam, I actually went there for the architecture. Tall narrow Dutch gable ended terraced houses traditionally have a stout beam protruding from the gable apex, to attach a block and tackle to get larger items of furniture to the upper levels and into the house via a window ... because Dutch stairs are narrower and MUCH steeper in those houses.

Some stairs in those houses are little different from flat runged ladders.

novocaine":32ddd2nl said:

googled "technical author bingo card" and got this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=technic ... 3DM:&vet=1

some of these are hilarious.

MikeG.":32ddd2nl said:
That's the danger of turning non-verbs into verbs. Fenestration is a word I use almost daily, as it refers to the windows and glazed doors in a facade. Obviously from the same roots as "fenetre", (sorry, can't do accents), the French for window.

"fenestration in the facade" - try saying that 10 times fast

.... actually it's not that hard :) yeah I did.

Always good to learn something new. I always find a neat summarisation of a concept handy to understand and grasp the wider theory like a Newton's 3rd Law of motion that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Just the other day for example I learned for the first time about Murphy's Law that states that the best way to get the correct answer on the internet is not to ask a question but post the wrong answer. Are there any other handy Laws that you guys use that could be useful to other forum users?
Cheers
Chris

Bm101":21zyymj2 said:
Always good to learn something new. I always find a neat summarisation of a concept handy to understand and grasp the wider theory like a Newton's 3rd Law of motion that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Just the other day for example I learned for the first time about Murphy's Law that states that the best way to get the correct answer on the internet is not to ask a question but post the wrong answer. Are there any other handy Laws that you guys use that could be useful to other forum users?
Cheers
Chris

I quite like Poe's Law:
Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the parodied views.

Would it be unfair to post a link to nearly all of them? https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Internet_law

Back