I have experienced forums since 1990

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

frank horton

just can't decide
Reaction score
as a newbie....OOOPS.........
I hate confrontation in any form.....
Moderators need to be thanked for the work they do.....not all of have the time or knowlege...........

Have come across a few MOD's who messed things up so much the forum failed....

I hope not in this case as having just found u and I like it.....
I'm happy to see the new advert's for tools and have aproched one firm already.........
As for SUB'S, we'll see........to much free competition out there for that I fear.....
regards Frank

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
NOTE RE THE ABOVE POST "DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS": The actual poster was "me" ("AES"). But seeing the "Change owner or date" button I just had to have a go didn't I? ;)

It seems there's no one on this Forum with the name "Uncle Tom Cobley", but there's definitely someone called Charley around!!!

NOTE TO ADMIN: I think there are definite "dangers" in having such a facility freely available to a "normal member" such as myself. I'd strongly recommend this facility be removed from "the hoi polloi" right away! The mind boggles!

Westwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess this is the place for reasonable comments about the new look to the forum ?
Haven't pushed all the buttons yet but I've seen worse upgrades and thanks to the admins or others who were involved.
I know how the world works and how forums are funded, but is there any way I can turn off the adverts ?
I come on here to learn about wood work and I don't really want to see endless ads above , to each side of and in the middle of threads and posts.
I'm sure I'm not alone

TechAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I guess this is the place for reasonable comments about the new look to the forum ?
Haven't pushed all the buttons yet but I've seen worse upgrades and thanks to the admins or others who were involved.
I know how the world works and how forums are funded, but is there any way I can turn off the adverts ?
I come on here to learn about wood work and I don't really want to see endless ads above , to each side of and in the middle of threads and posts.
I'm sure I'm not alone
Yes, you can turn off all advertisements here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/account/preferences

After you do it once you will never see ads again.

sunnybob

software developers nemesis
Reaction score
I've been telling people not to feed jacob for a couple of years now, but so many people just cant (in the words of frozen) Let it go.
I've been using adblocker for years. I dont see any adverts ever.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I do wonder how long it will be before it is subscription only.
It won't be. Please see my comment about that in the Support thread. You will keep the forums and permissions you now have. You can donate or become a supporting member if you WANT to.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
NOTE RE THE ABOVE POST "DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS": The actual poster was "me" ("AES"). But seeing the "Change owner or date" button I just had to have a go didn't I? ;)

It seems there's no one on this Forum with the name "Uncle Tom Cobley", but there's definitely someone called Charley around!!!

NOTE TO ADMIN: I think there are definite "dangers" in having such a facility freely available to a "normal member" such as myself. I'd strongly recommend this facility be removed from "the hoi polloi" right away! The mind boggles!
I have diasbled and removed that change name option. When I left the forum last evening it was only available to the person working on the articles. I appreciate those of you that pointed out that feature had escaped to the members.
And I have now received a list of the censored words/phrases and will start having them added back to the censor feature.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I wish the new forum and announcement a happy future and success, but my past experience of such events has not been a sign of such.
Have been a member of an art forum since 2004 who recently also seemed to have change its roots and postings seemed to have reduced to a handful over the past 3 months (world wide) previously it had uncountable posts and comments.
I hope you will give us at least a month before you decide what's happening here. What you have seen does not have to be.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
Oh rapture....oh rapture. This new forum software ROCKS !! Now when I've put someone on Ignore, even when they are quoted by someone else, I still don't see the Ignored person's post.
Does that mean you just see the other person's reply, but without any context? Seems like it might make threads read a bit strangely.

MikeK

Established Member
Reaction score
Does that mean you just see the other person's reply, but without any context? Seems like it might make threads read a bit strangely.
The ignored member's post will not appear on the screen and there will not be any indication that an ignored user made a post, except for the post count skipping. For example, your post is number 37. If another member has ignored you, your post would not be visible to him or her and the post count would skip 37.

If anyone quotes a member you ignored, the area with the quote will be visible, but will include a notice that the content is hidden.