Quantcast

I have experienced forums since 1990

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish the new forum and announcement a happy future and success, but my past experience of such events has not been a sign of such.
Have been a member of an art forum since 2004 who recently also seemed to have change its roots and postings seemed to have reduced to a handful over the past 3 months (world wide) previously it had uncountable posts and comments.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
Jacob, why aren't you using your proper account?
And welcome back, we sort of missed you

sunnybob

software developers nemesis
Reaction score
What with "American English" dictionaries and spell check's and "American predictive text" you're on the road to nowhere I'm afraid. But The British always fight for the underdog, do we not?

wearwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob, why aren't you using your proper account?
And welcome back, we sort of missed you
Thanks for that! I sort of missed being here! Not a lot to be honest.
"Jacob" account was sabotaged by the mods. They screwed up my log-in and edited my profile.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
What with "American English" dictionaries and spell check's and "American predictive text" you're on the road to nowhere I'm afraid. But The British always fight for the underdog, do we not?
boring story so feel free to look away.

I once visited Plymouth plantation near Boston.
Being a smartarse I took a lady guide to task about America words and spellings.

But she was far better educated than I.
She explained that many American words were as the pilgrims spoke and wrote.
We, on the other hand, absorbed Dutch, french and German (think about our royals since back then) into our version of English.
Therefore, she argued, their version was purer.

Rorschach

Agent Provocateur
Reaction score
Read Bill Bryson's "Mother Tongue", American English is far purer than modern English, quite backwards in many ways using old words and spellings. Nothing wrong with that, we just need to accept that we have changed rather than them, but the English language is ever evolving unlike a lot of other languages and that is why it is the preferred language around the world.

sunnybob

Reaction score
Pardon? The American lady believes that the tens of millions of mostly peasant and illiterate refugees into her country did not change their language?
To mention just one of my pet hates that has spread like wildfire;
"How are you?"
"I'm good".
I didnt ask about the behaviour, did I?

This is a direct corruption by the greek immigrants, who use the expression "Kala"? (good?) to ask if everything is well. It is NOT English as spoken by the mayflower passengers. :cool: End of rant.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Not a lot to be honest.
"Jacob" account was sabotaged by the mods. They screwed up my log-in and edited my profile.

I do not usually wash dirty linen in public, but as you continue to make incorrect proclamations to the forum community, on this occasion I will break my own self imposed rules.

No the Moderators did not change you profile details, your last ban for One Month, terminated and the account became active, but because you screwed up your registered email account and password details signing up with alternate accounts to try and circumvent the ban with other accounts you do not know which email or password is current in the Jacob account.

A Mod could have sorted that if asked, I personally declined to volunteer.

wearwell

Established Member
Reaction score
I do not usually wash dirty linen in public, but as you continue to make incorrect proclamations to the forum community, on this occasion I will break my own self imposed rules.

No the Moderators did not change you profile details, your last ban for One Month, terminated and the account became active, but because you screwed up your registered email account and password details signing up with alternate accounts to try and circumvent the ban with other accounts you do not know which email or password is current in the Jacob account.

A Mod could have sorted that if asked, I personally declined to volunteer.
Amounts to the same thing.
Also you altered my profile data with me appearing to announce myself as a troll. At no point did you say anything about being banned, still less the length of ban, even when I and others asked.
But I agree with your dissatisfaction at having the forum "sold" without notice; Charley only ever volunteered to run OUR community forum and arguably it was never his to sell. He seemed to have contributed absolutely nothing useful for years, other than a rather self indulgent and ineffective redesign. "Selling" us (down the river?) without no notice even to the mods is to say the least very weird! I always though being a mod was a thankless task anyway - se well done for hanging on in so long!
Looks like this forum is going to fade away - it's happened before and it will happen again.
Slightly hilarious the new "owners" thinking anybody wants to pay to read their own stuff! This isn't vanity publishing it's a self help forum - if anything they should be paying us!

Last edited:

sunnybob

Reaction score
A troll by any other name....
(the smilies dont express sufficient emphasis, so I'll use the old fashioned way... ROTFLMFAO!

Dont change Jacob, you bring humour to the site.

wearwell

Established Member
Reaction score
It would be perfectly easy to relaunch under a new domain name with a free version of phpBB if anybody is up for it. Not me, too much to do, but when things have got too messy a fresh new start may be the best way forwards.
Angie may have been sold a pig in a poke ; a shrinking forum, absentee "owner", only two remaining mods left to cope on their own for over a year - no wonder they get a bit ratty!

Last edited:

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
A troll by any other name....
(the smilies dont express sufficient emphasis, so I'll use the old fashioned way... ROTFLMFAO!

Dont change Jacob, you bring humour to the site.
Would you care to give me an example of my so-called "trolling"? I only popped back here because I was trying to tell chaoticbob about my mortice chisel experiences - useful advice, otherwise I wasn't going to bother at all.

(Oh this is fantastic. I wondered what the "Change owner or date did". It's a recipe for disaster. I 'now' am Jacob as above is his original post and not quoted.)

So, as I am now Jacob, I confess that I, Jacob, am an eternal troll. I love winding people up. I love Jeremy Corbyn. I will slip and slide and as soon as someone pins me down and forces me into a corner then I simply change the subject.

Angie...I suggest you remove this option PDQ otherwise it's going to get out of hand.

Last edited:

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Angie...you might also like to enable a swearword filter. I just made a dummy post with three Anglo-Saxon words....the forum s/w let me post them !

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(A lesson I had to learn the hard way after another member - I think it was Bm101, thanks if so - very diplomatically showed me the error of my ways).

Watching with "interest" (AND with the ejection seat definitely ready)!

Latest posts